Memories

hi guys!

I know it's been a while since I last posted, and I wanted to thank everyone for the support! I can't believe we're almost at 1k (I wrote this at like 700, we now ARE at 1.3k love you all)!! Ily all, and I can't wait to reveal the big announcement I have planned for this book!

IMPORTANT: THIS CHAPTER IS IN FIRST PERSON, FREYAS POV. TELL ME WHICH YOU LIKE BETTER, THIRD PERSON OR FIRST PERSON.

TW: SUICIDE TALK AND ALCOHOL

Fair warning, this chapter is quite sad and dark.

Freya's POV:

A loud slam jolted me awake, the only feelings being the stinging of my eyes adjusting to the light, and  the searing, hot pain shooting across my stomach. Hissing, my head flopped against the pillow, falling from my up-right position. My head snapped towards the door, just barely catching a glimpse of Hiccups tousled hair. The grimace still plastered across my face, I cocked an eyebrow confusedly.

'Why did Hiccup slam my door open?'

Suddenly, I remembered Viggo. I took a sharp breath, my head snapping towards Viggo's side of the bed. A wash of relief fell over me as I realized he had already left for the morning, his side being cold and empty. Thank Thor, who knows what my overprotective brother would have thought...

"Hiccup?" I called out confused, turning to the steep, creaking steps that led to the loft I slept on. Hiccup's head popped up from the staircase, catching my eyes worriedly. His face held guilt and anxiety. His negative emotion enhanced my curiosity as it projected onto me.

"Freya, bad news from Berk," Hiccup said, a frown growing on his face as the news became fresh in his mind. The look of confusion upon my face switched to one of anticipation as I ran through the possibilities.

.

.

.

The wind whistled against my ears, whipping my hair behind me. The weight of the braid that controlled the loose hair itched at my neck, but that was the last thing on my mind.

I could feel Viggo's eyes on me, even from such a distance away, I could feel his worry as if it was my own, yet that was quite low on the list of importance to me as well.

I recalled what Hiccup had told me, it was replaying in my mind again and again.

Sto-...Dad was ambushed by a group of Fliers, rendering him incapacitated. Self made images of my fathers blood surrounding him like a halo haunted the backs of my eyes, causing the guilt to grow in my stomach, eating away at me.

Memories of the better times I had with him covered those images, bringing even more guilt. even though I was on the edge while it happened, I feel like I was there just by picturing about it. My fingernails dug into my upper arms as I held myself, successfully pushing back any tears that wanted to surface.

The clouds soon parted to reveal Berk, and the familiar lump in my throat that I tried so desperately to melt down grew even bigger. I felt the enticing urge to turn Venomous around and fly away without warning, but I know I can't do that.

It's not that I don't care for my father, no, in fact I hate the way I can't help how much I love him. Like I'm clinging onto those good memories I've had with him in the past. Instead, I feel like I can't face him after the tension that I started.

Deep breaths, Freya... calm down

Sucking in air, I closed my eyes. I imagined myself on one of Berks cliffsides, a place I used to go often when I was younger. Hiccup had his forests, and I had my cliffsides. We may have been very alike when we were on Berk together, but we did have our specific differences.