Chapter Five- A Surprise Visitor

As the night became early morn, Madeline awoke to a sound outside her window. Jolting from bed, she made her way out of her room and found a figure lurking in the gardens. Secretly and swiftly, she followed the figure and found in to be Miguel. He was picking the flowers and formed what looked like a fairy circle on the ground.

"What on Earth are you doing?" She asked him, making him nearly draw his blade from his side. "Calm yourself." She said with a giggle. "I am no threat. Believe me. I cannot even pour tea without hurting myself..."

"I am sorry. Did I wake you?"

"Yes."

His expression changed to self-disappointment.

"Do not fret. I am curious...How did you know where I lived?"

"I have walked these gardens for years. Never knew who they belonged to until now..."

"Years? And you spoke to me just tonight and not even here?"

"Yes. I thought you were posh and arrogant even."

"How humorous. I thought the same of you when I first laid eyes on you."

They both laughed before they saw a light coming from outside. He pulled her down into the bushes as a servant with a candle called out across the gardens.

"If anyone is out there...I will alert the constable!"

They waited until they heard the large doors close before coming back up.

"That was indeed close." He said before standing completely up. As she went to do the same, her slip tore and revealed her leg slightly.

"This was my favorite nightgown!" She whined as he smirked.

"It can be saved." He stated as he got down on one knee and tore her dress up just above the knees. She gasped before letting out a breath, swallowing hard. "Did I overstep?"

"No. I just...Men do not usually see women in the state I am with you unless married..."

"I only just met you...how you move quick..."

"I did not mean-"

"Relax Madeline." When he said her name, it was as if he had been dying to say it. He took a deep breath as the words left his lips. "I should let you rest..." When he went to turn, she pulled him back with her words.

"You did come all the way here from the docks for a reason and frankly, I want to know what you do in these gardens. What you have been doing all these years..."

"I find nature relaxing. In fact, I find it more soothing that a bath in the creek."

"You bathe in the creek?"

"Aye."

"Aye?"

"It means yes. A pirate word."

"Oh. My apologies."

"Not necessary." He said with a smile. "I know, it is not exactly the best-"

"It seems fun."

"Fun? I cannot imagine you doing such a thing. Not that I am trying to imagine you bathing at all. I mean it is not that you are not-"

"I understand. I may just have to try it some time...."

"I would not suggest it. Many peeping eyes would love to see a figure such as yourself...." As she looked to the ground blushing, he stole a sight of her legs as well as her neck. When she looked up, his eyes were now on her lips. "Can I ask you something?"

"Aye." She said teasing.

"Do you love him?"

"Excuse me?"

"The man you are engaged to...betrothed in a year...Do you love him?"

"I cannot say I do. I do not know much about him although I have known him my entire life. I will admit he takes great care of me. But to be frank, I often find myself bored. Alone and isolated in this house..." She paused as she sat on the stone bench in the garden between two rose bushes. "Can I ask you something?"

He sat beside her and nodded.

"What is it you do when you are here? Do you watch me? I will not be angry at whatever answer you admit..."

"Aye...." He paused for a moment to try and find the correct words. "The first time I saw you, you were on that there balcony," He said as he pointed to the balcony behind them. "You were brushing your hair which was slightly shorter than but just as blonde. The man you are now engaged to stole your brush and you became angry. You began throwing stuff at him and I was unable to stop laughing."

"How did I not hear you?"

"I hid. Ever since then I realized you were not normal as other girls are. For one, you are a woman. And became one quite young. I also have heard you read your poetry aloud. I swear that is the reason I come more than others. It is so magical I swear it."

"You are too kind Miguel."

"I genuinely say it with the most compassion I conceal in my dark heart."

"Dark heart?"

"Being a pirate means you must make many...impure choices. I am not proud of what I have done. But I am proud of who I am and my name...."

This began an all night conversation-ending when dawn broke.

"I am afraid I must go." He said with a smile. "If I am seen, I can get you in trouble am afraid."

"No more than I can get you I am sure..."

"I will come back tomorrow. I promise...." He said as he kissed her hand goodbye. She watched as he disappeared behind hedges and into the early light. Walking back into her room, she made it just in time before her door was knocked on by Bart.

"Lessons my dear..." He stopped. "Did you sleep well? You look exhausted...."

"No. I had a nightmare...I am alright. I will be there in a moment." Shutting the door, she let out a breath before quickly turning and dressing for the day.