Chapter Ten- A Helpless Surrender of Virtue

"Darling, come inside and close that door, it is so frigid...You can become ill...I do not want to spend our honeymoon with you bedridden..."

"I am enjoying the stars. I will be in in a moment." Her hands were shaking now. In her mind, she made a promise to the stars. If Miguel were to arrive on this night, she would not surrender to Atticus. She would remain chaste to Miguel until he would rescue her from her fears. Anytime she heard a small rustle or saw a shadow, her heart leaped. But it was either an animal or a pigment of her imagination. Closing her eyes tight, she let out a sigh as she concealed all her tears.

"I am sorry. I quite enjoy the stars this time of night."

"And you do not mind the wind?"

"No. I figure it is a part of life."

"So is death my darling, that does not mean you risk yourself, do you?"

"I guess not."

"Come to bed."

The words were cold on her heart. She knew his virtue had left him when he was still in his primary lessons. He was skilled, experienced, and she was none of the sort. It made her nervous and he knew it. She lingered near the center of the room as he stood beside her.

"Darling Madeline...Are you worried?"

"Whatever for?" She said trying to laugh off the moment.

"That you are still chaste?"

"I fear you will rid me once you discover I am not like your lovers..."

"I do not want that. I want you. I have since I saw you...I have seen you at your weakest moments, your hardest ones, even your most ridiculous ones. All the while, I have found I adore you." She smiled at this. Suddenly she felt warm as if this marriage was possibly a smart move aside from a irrational regret. "Will you let me be with you tonight?"

She nodded. The sign she was waiting for did not come and she surrendered to Atticus. But as she laid there, her eyes remained open as her heart began to ache. She felt as if she were giving up her morality. But she knew he would become an enemy if she did not continue. As the moment ended-rather quickly, she rolled over and wrapped herself in the blanket before realizing she was unable to sleep.

"Where are you heading?"

"I am thirsty." She said making her way out the door. Running through the corridors, she made her way to Lily's room to find her with a man. Not just any man. Bart. In quite a compromising position, she slammed the door before running outside the palace walls and into town. Where she first met Miguel, she sat and cried.

"Why did you not stop me?" She cried to the water, as if it were Miguel. "Am I truly that heartless that you find saving me such a chore? You ruined me...I ruined myself...Now you will never want me..."

More tears soaked her gown as her feet were in the water. In the small distance he was watching her. Leaning against the exterior of a tavern, he watched. From the distance, it appeared she was just enjoying the view. If he would have known of her sadness...he most certainly would have consoled her. Turning, he went back into the tavern and drank until he fell asleep-being brought back to his ship by a crew mate.

"Quite beautiful that dove is."

"What? Pecker?"

"Yes sir, the dove, the girl you admire-anyway...they wanted to know if you wanted to sail today..." A crew member of Miguel's asked.

"Pecker...We cannot leave yet. I just found her."

"But you er....fought did ye not?"

"Yes. People fight. I am sure she did not mean it as I did not...I saw her last night. I can feel she wants it...to be with me..."

"It may be the oysters cap'n."

"I can assure you this is much more sentimental than rotten food Pecker..."