I. Sleep of the Just

THE DREAMING

Alone in a vast, scorched landscape, there stands a being of incredible power. His eyes are purple and sometimes red; he is draped in ornate black clothing. It is Lelouch vi the Endless, Lord of Dreams and King of the Dreaming. He looks out over his realm with dark purpose. Loneliness has made him bitter and – with only nightmares for company – cruel.

Dream's realm changes form through the centuries to mirror the dreams of the living. In this era, the Dreaming is a dark place of nightmares. The medieval era has been a terrible one, and there are few beautiful dreams to be had. Shadows creep over the hills and valleys of the Dreaming. The gloom has touched Dream himself, distorting his character. These days, Lelouch seems so near madness that other members of the Endless have noticed, and they have grown concerned. If Dream loses his mind, so too will humanity.

Lately, Lelouch spends his days obsessively perfecting the nightmares he sends to the ruthless and powerful leaders of the human world. He crafts their torment with a sense of righteousness, feeling justified that they should be punished in their sleep for their waking misdeeds. On this day, he is placing teeth into the eyes of a nightmare that he suspects will be counted among his finest work. He wonders what humanity will name it.

Lelouch has not had visitors in the Dreaming for some time, and so he is surprised to look up from his work to find his accomplice, Death, sitting silently in the shadows behind him, watching him with bright golden eyes.

"CC," he says with fondness. "I wasn't expecting you."

"No one ever is," CC offers mildly. "And it's been some time since I last saw you."

"To what do I owe this pleasure? I'm sure you're much too busy for a simple social call."

"I'm never too busy for a social call with you, Lelouch. You need only call me. But you're right, I'm here for a reason. I'm worried about you. I fear you've forgotten your purpose here."

"I still serve humanity," Lelouch says, disagreeing. "I give them exactly what they deserve."

CC shakes her head. "I understand your jadedness, Dream. But you're wrong. Humanity deserves more than this. You seem to lack an essential understanding of them, these days. Come with me to the mortal realm and I'll show you what I mean."

"Everything I need to know of humanity I can see here in my own realm," Lelouch tells Death petulantly. "Look around you, CC. Monsters and nightmares. Violent dreams of revenge and murder. Humans are small, vicious creatures clamboring for power and status. Why should I visit them?"

CC gives Lelouch a rare smile. "If for no other reason, then because they make wonderful food."

Lelouch can't help the fondness he feels when he sees Death smile. He knows her work has been difficult of late. In times of war and famine such as these, no one feels ready to see Death when she comes for them.

"Alright then," Lelouch concedes. "Where should we eat?"

 "Where should we eat?"