3 - Just a bit of Pranking

Next day 08:45

"Good morning dork express!"

Tom's towering face loomed over Mia.

Her eyes shot open as she saw Tom float adjacently above, just inches from her face. Her loud scream landed her onto her bedroom floor with a thump.

"Jeez Tom. What the fuck are you playing at?"

"It's about time you got up!" He floated beside her. "You're like half an hour late for lesson 1."

"What!!" Mia yelled and she was on her feet. "Gosh Tom! What the hell!"

"What! You looked so cute sleeping. I didn't wanna wake you." He mocked battering his eyelashes.

She chucked her Human Biology text book at him, but that went straight through him. "Tom, get out. I wanna get changed."

He stood by the doorway. "Be my guest."

"Seriously ever since you've become a ghost, you've also become a pervert. GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY ROOM!!"

He laughed hysterically. "All right, all right. I'm going. Keep your hair on."

Mia rubbed her face and began to chuck her books into her bag. She opened her wardrobe and grabbed the same clothes she wore yesterday; a plain red v-neck top with black skinny jeans.

"Are-you-done-now?" Tom chanted.

She grunted. "You know I'm not done."

He poked his floating head through her door. "Want me to help?"

"Jeez have you not heard of knocking? And I'm not changed yet so piss off. Stop being such a pervert."

"I'm anything but that," he muttered before his head disappeared.

Releasing a huge sigh Mia checked her bag for the final time before rushing for the bathroom. She washed her face, briefly brushed her teeth before realising something was wrong, undoubtedly wrong.

She rushed out and ran downstairs, missing a couple of steps before turning on the television.

"That son of a bitch," she exclaimed. "Its bank holiday Monday."

"Which means it's a day off school."

She spun around and saw Tom sitting by the kitchen table, reading the back of the ketchup bottle. "You'd think they'd reduce the amount of sugar in this. Well that doesn't matter now when I don't have an appetite."

"You done talking."

Tom grinned widely. "Come on Mia. It was a stupid prank I pulled and you're pissed off. I'm sorry. Look what your mother made you."

Mia lips closed tightly in a thin line and she walked slowly towards him.

"You shouldn't have done that." She then turned around, glancing into the kitchen doorway. "Where's my mum?"

"Oh!" he exclaimed waving a yellow post-it-note and read slowly. "Don't wait up for me. With Mrs March. Back by 12."

She sat down. "She lives two doors away. Mrs March had a heart attack last week."

"Well it's unlikely you'll get a heart attack," he said as she poured the milk over the cereal. "I thought we'd do something today."

"I have better things to do."

Tom raised his eyebrow at her. "Yeah like what? You can't stick your head into your text books. Do you know what normal people do on a Monday off?"