Lingers

- Would this be considered simping?
- Oh Bloodhound has got it bad!
- Set during Dou's

Word count: 391

Lingers

A sweet fragrance traveled through the air, wafting past their mask as it teasingly lingered in the open field with a persistence that left the legend stumbling for just a moment.

The faintest unsettled sound fell past their lips, and the heat that fanned throughout their face in the moment of discovery was an obnoxious glow they were gleeful to keep masked.

Traces of that smell that was so oddly sweet left them swallowing down thickly, the little glob traveling with difficulty.

Trickles of blood were hidden within the overgrown patches of greenery, and with dexterous fingers that were protected by thick, worn gloves, the hunter offered a tentative swipe to the ground where the peppered spots of scarlet smudged, most, clinging to their fingertips during the inspection.

Just like her, they stayed with the legend, clinging.

"- Someone was wounded here," they relayed to their partner, not bothering to specify just who had made it out.

"Not that long ago..." they added, their eyes narrowed straight forth where the scent traveled and more evidence of her travel was highlighted by the deep color that scarcely painted the ground.

There was only one survivor, one wounded competitor left from the battle that had just ended.

"They're close," Bloodhound added, the awful thickness that knotted their throat utterly unbearable.

There was a great shame that festered within them, a humiliation that existed when they thought of how they couldn't even form a word in their presence without sounding so yearnful and weak.

The mere lingering of their scent left their mind fuzzy, their heart swelled to the point of aching, and it was torment.

Bloodhound stared down at the pretty red that was toyed between their two longest fingers and their thumb, and the deep concentration that left them oddly still was noted by their teammate who questioned them with a look of contemplation of their own,

"Mate, you alright?" Fuze said with a raised brow, stepping up to stand next to Bloodhound, but just before he could reach them, they responded with a straightened back and a soft huff, trying to seem indifferent.

A very low hum escaped them before they pinged a location on their map, a direction where the land had been disturbed by their fleeting prey.

"- Let's go here," They suggested in place of an answer, dutifully trailing her and the tempting lingers of her she left behind.