|i|

It had been years since he had last seen her. 

Three years, seven months, eighteen days, to be exact. 

But her memories were intertwined in his heart. Forever. Those were the only things of hers that actually belonged to him. For she didn't. 

Of course she didn't. She must have been the Eyyubi Sultana now. 

I hope you're happy, Halime Sultan. 

Of course, she must be. 

Ertugrul stood up and exited his safe haven. He knew that the people had better expectations from him. He knew what they'd say. Oh, but it's been years, Ertugrul Bey. But had it really? As selfish as it sounded, he was still back in the time. Way back. 

❝Ertugrul Bey.❞

His head shot up to see the silhouette of the woman he was expected to love. His unwanted fiancee. Her eyes were cautious yet a shy smile on her lips. In a flash, he was reminded of her gazelle eyes and his little finger twitched. 

❝Yes, Gokçe Hatun.❞

❝Hayme Ana is waiting for you to-❞ She paused to take a deep breath. ❝-to join us for dinner.❞

❝Is that so?❞ Ertugrul rubbed his chin. ❝Then kindly inform her, Gokçe Hatun, that I have already had my dinner, thanks to Allah.❞

His voice came out sterner than he had expected to be, but he remained stoic. 

❝Ertugrul!❞ He saw tears circling around her eyes. ❝You have not a single ounce of care for your intended!❞

Intended? More like unwanted intended. 

❝What made you think I cared for you?❞ 

And as he saw her sprinting away, a random thought came in his mind. What would Halime think of him if she heard of this? 

No-! 

❝Gokce!❞ He ran after her. ❝Listen to me.❞

Her eyes flashed with anger. ❝What do you want to say now, Ertugrul Bey?❞

❝I. . I apologise, Gokçe Hatun,❞ His little finger twitched as he spoke. ❝I shouldn't have said that.❞

❝Yes, you shouldn't have,❞ She deadpanned. ❝But I'll forgive you only on one condition, Ertugrul Bey. You'll have to attend the dinner every time.❞

A moment of stunned silence passed. 

He patted his chest. ❝You have my word.❞

   დ

❝I thought you loved me, Halime Sultan.❞

Hot tears dropped down her cheeks as his words haunted her. It was haunting her yet it was the only thing keeping her sane. Oh, wasn't it poetic enough? 

I do, Ertugrul. She wiped them away. Only you. 

Oh, he must have been married by now. How could he not? He was Ertugrul Bey, son of Suleyman Shah. The most gallant man she had ever met. The most tender and lighthearted warrior in her eyes. 

Her fingers traced down the mirror he had gifted to her. The only possession of him that belonged to her. For he didn't. 

❝I wanted you to see the beauty that I see as well.

Wasn't it exactly what he had said to her? And now he must be saying such heartfelt words to his wife. The real Sultan of his heart, the actual mother of his children and his loving lifelong companion. 

For she was none. 

She had herself chosen this punishment and there was no going back now.