new neighbours-(1)

The world is changing. So fast that I fear I may not be able to stop it this time. First, our neighbours moved, then I went into my last year of high school, and then the world just felt like it was crumbling at my feet.

It was the year 2006. The first term of school starts on the 7th of September. And today's the 6th.

Something deep within me wants to scream as loud as I can. I didn't plan to be on this earth for this long, yet here I am. Surviving against civilization. I'm an antisocial wreck. I don't have any friends here and every time I try to tell my parents how much I'm struggling, they "comfort" me and tell me that I'm just being dramatic. But of all people in this crap town, I was not dramatic.

*the morning of the 7th of September*

My mom was not subtle at all when It came to wake-up calls. If I didn't reply the first time, then she would do whatever she had to to get me up and out of the house.

Mom:"come on sleepy head, it's your first day."

I groaned. I couldn't think of anything worse than having to attend another year at that school. Each year I waste there, It gets worse and worse.

Mom:"come on, I'm not doing this again."

I feel for my mom sometimes, I do. But she doesn't seem to understand that I'm a teenager who's yet to be diagnosed with depression. I mean, my surroundings aren't exactly the best influence.

Me:"no."

I could not face all of the jackasses in my year. They make me wish I lived somewhere outside of the solar system, so that way I wouldn't have to come in contact with a human being like them.

Mom:"all I ask is that you get up and go to school, is it that hard to ask for?"

Yes, it was.

Me:"yes."

I hated this town, I hated the people, I hated my school. Everything about my life here makes me want to do awful things.

Mom:"Please, Brooke?"

I couldn't, I just couldn't.

Me:"no, I'm dead. I can't attend school unless my ghost glides across the schoolyard."

Okay, I take it back. I can be dramatic at times, but not like the students at my school.

Mom:"if you don't get up I'll just have to confiscate your Walkman."

And that was it. I was up.

Me:"Okay, I'm up."

Although it's 2006, nothing that has been invented has deemed itself more useful than a Walkman. Old tapes that my parents had when they were younger were always lying about the house, but my taste in music had its differences from theirs. Therefore, any pocket money or allowance went to new music tapes.

*8:00*

I didn't live too far from the school. That was one of the worst parts about it.

I never took the bus, I walked. It just seemed easier. And every morning when that stupid yellow bus passed me, at least one person would cat call me through the window. It was a daily routine that came with walking to school every morning. So I always saved a hand gesture they couldn't refuse. 4 fingers down 1 finger up. I'll leave you to imagine how that situation went down.

*at school*

Walking the corridors was always amusing. Someone was always bound to shout something as I walked to my locker.

Jason:"Owens, you look awful."

I will admit, I didn't brush my hair this morning or wear anything relatively bookish. But even so, it was the effort that counted.

Me:"give it a rest Jason."

I wasn't up for negotiations this morning, another word out of him and I might as well have just lashed out quicker.

Jason:"how can I when your outfit is as dark as night and as revealing as ever."

Nothing about what I was wearing was revealing, he just wanted to slut shame me like every other boy in this hell hole.

Me:"look, every girl in this school already knows you have a tiny dick, do you need the biggest slut in school to confirm that for everybody?"

He fell silent. Nothing could escape his mouth. He stuttered, but not a single sentence fell out of that goofball's mouth after that.

Me:"didn't think so, now go and terrorise a girl who actually cares for your validation."

I threw my satchel over my shoulder and slammed my locker door shut. Walking away from Jason was a very relieving feeling. It was like how ecstasy felt when every classic rockstar took it. But then again, the majority of them either became junkies or alcoholics. I guess this would make me an intimidation junky.

Every class I had that day just seemed to drag on. My day felt longer than it had done in a long time. I just had to put up with it for another 190 days.

If I'm not dead before the year's up, someone please do it for me.

*end of September*

When September was over, It felt like the hard part was already over. Getting settled back in was over. Now I just had to get through 10th grade and get out as a sophomore in one piece by the time the year's out.

As I walked home, something felt off. I didn't know what, but something felt strange.

Mom: "ah, honey, you're home."

My mom never waited by the door to announce my return. She was normally in the kitchen, cooking for my dad by this time.

Me:"yes, yes I am. In one piece might I add."

I said it in a rather normal manner, but I raised my eyebrow at her in confusion. She was just waiting to tell me something, I could sense it. She always did this when she needed to tell me something, but she also knew that when she did this, I was going to have a strange reaction to it in some way.

Mom:"I'd like to introduce you to the new neighbours."

New...neighbours? What?

Me:"what?"