Mia Rivera-(2)

Not only did we have new neighbours, but there were also three of them.

Adam, Joyce, and their daughter Mia.

She was also my age, but she was born in January, I was born the year before, in November.

Mom:"come and meet the new neighbours. This is Adam, Joyce, and Mia. Mia's your age."

They looked like very friendly people, I'll give them that. But honestly, now that our old neighbours were gone, there wasn't a hoping hell that I was going to get away with anything now. The old neighbour's son used to be my cover story. If I was ever at a party or anything, their son always made up a fake cover story so I wouldn't get in trouble.

Me:"okay...?"

I honestly didn't see the point in this sudden greeting; I could've done it in my own time.

Mom:"she'll be going to your school in a few days."

Great. Another person to possibly avoid in the hallways.

Mom:"Mia, this is my daughter Brooke. Brooke, this is Mia."

She was odd looking. Beautiful, but dressed like she was too rich to live in a dump like this. She dressed like she would be attending a private school with all the other stuck-up goons that live in this joint.

Mia:"Hi."

I gave an unconvincing wave and tried to look anywhere except for where they stood.

Me:"Why did the evanss' leave?"

That's what our old neighbour's last name was. Their son, josh, always called us the Owens family, so I always called them the Evans family.

Mom:"they were our old neighbours."

But like always, she ignored me and focused on other people so she could get a better reputation among newcomers.

Me:"I'm going upstairs."

I rolled my eyes and turned away to walk up the stairs and be antisocial for the rest of the day.

Mom: "aren't you going to greet these fine people."

'Fine people', she talks about them like they're royalty. Whatever reason they moved here, it's not because they're rich, that's for certain.

Me:"Adam, Joyce, I'll see you around. And Mia, whether you'll see me in school is one thing, but me going elsewhere right now is another. So..."

And I continued up the stairs and turned away from the people who were soon to move in next door.

Mom:"I'm so sorry about her. I and her father suspect she had a relationship with the boy who lived next door, but he and his family moved. I think that's why she's getting all defensive, but don't take it personally."

She makes my skin crawl sometimes. Because now I've come across as being rude to the girl who will be joining me at school until the years out. I didn't like having to come across as being defensive or judgy, but you just can't trust anyone here. They all turn their backs on you at some point.

*The next morning*

October 1st.

Halloween season was always the best time of the year when autumn begins to fade Into winter.

Mom:"come on, get up."

She wasn't looking for sympathy this morning, she wasn't impressed with how I treated the new neighbours, so this was how she was repaying me.

Mom: "Seriously, Brooke, I'm not messing with you this morning."

She sounded serious, she wasn't going to wait around for me this time.

Me:"Okay, alright, Jesus."

I rolled out of bed and dragged half of my blanket and pillows with me. I rubbed my eyes in exhaustion, I had gotten any sleep the night before and I felt like I had just been punched in the face.

Mom:"just get up."

It was not looking good for me today, but what can I do? How was I supposed to know they were going to be waiting for me to get back from school to meet them?

I did not have the energy to do anything this morning. The problem with having a depressed kid is the fact that they will never understand the endless pain of feeling sad and lonely. The constant voices that roam through your head telling you that you don't want to play this character anymore. And what did I have to lose?

Absolutely nothing.

*downstairs*

Mom:"do you need a lift?"

She was buttering a slice of toast for my dad's breakfast.

Me:"you know I always walk."

I picked up my Walkman from the kitchen table and threw my bag over my shoulder.

Mom:"well, it's better that I offer than not."

I kissed my dad on the cheek goodbye and headed for the front door.

Me:"Okay, I'm leaving."

Mom:"love you, be nice to Mia."

I turned to look at her, and for a split second, the happiness that crept onto her face looked genuine.

Me:"bye."

But I slammed that door behind me anyway. I put my headphones over my ears, undid the clasp on my Walkman, and found no mistake inside.

Me:"for fucks sake."

I couldn't go back and get my mistake, the gates would be locked and I'd have run late to school. So instead, I placed the Walkman carefully inside my bag and I walked down the road with the sound of nothing but silence.

Until...

Mia:"Brooke?"

I turned around and a girl with a warm smile and bright clothing began to trail after me.

Me:"uhh...yeah?"

Unsure of what to say, I just accepted that I would have to walk to school with her.

Mia:"hi."

Her voice sounded so friendly.

Me:"Hi?"

Me not knowing any other way to reply, said the obvious reply and felt my insides cringe with anxiety.

Mia:"my parents said they saw you walking, so I thought I'd join."

I wasn't a people person after my reputation was destroyed. But at least it would be a new slate for me to maybe work on, and that's if I don't manage to fuck it up this time like I always do.

Me:"it's better than taking the bus."

I kept my head pointing down to the floor, any source of eye contact made me feel all queezy in the stomach.

Mia:"What's wrong with taking the bus?"

What was wrong with taking the bus?

Me:"the people that get on it."

Everyone.

Mia:"oh..."