Chapter 2

"Quit moping Miriam" Lily groaned, dropping a pile of towels on the desk at the nurses station. I didn't even look up from the paperwork I was trying to finish.

"I'm assigning rounds, Lil, not moping" I muttered but she was right, I was moping, I finally accepted I wouldn't see Turner again. The butterflies that danced in my chest had dropped into a slumber while emptiness resonated inside instead. 

"Your lips are scrunched, and your pretty blue eyes are back to your infamous scowl," she paused while setting down a towel she had folded "you are moping" she smiled

"You'd mope too if Asherton asked you to come up with a schedule for rounds. I mean where am I supposed to assign some of these girls so they don't disappear in a closet with a patient?" I grumbled, ignoring my real problem.

"Well if you need someone in the recovery wing I can ta-"

"So you can disappear in a closet with that surgeon of yours?" I teased "you guys will be married in three weeks just be patient" I laughed, Lily tossed a towel at me while sticking her tongue out. 

"You know for being a couple weeks after valentine's day you sure are anti love, come to think of it you've been moping ever since valentine's day" she teased. Scoffs escaped my throat making her raise an eyebrow at me. My cheeks singed, and pressure grew in the side of my mouth as my tongue jammed to my cheek as I held back from saying anything mean, Lily meant no harm in the comment in fact she was just trying to be playful but I knew what she was getting at. I tossed the towel back at her and hung up the new schedule for rounds 

"I'm going to get back to work before you get any more incorrect assumptions" I smiled while rising to my feet. 

"You know there is a rumor that tomorrow the training camp will be bringing men in for shots and physicals a certain lieutenant might show up" Lily chirped her lips curved upward while her eyebrows danced. 

"Goodbye Lily" I sang while hanging up the new schedule. Clicks from my shoes echoed through the hall while a lump grew in my throat as I began checking the supply stations in recovery. I was almost lost in my thoughts that when a patient came up behind me I almost didnt see him.

"I promise you today is the day" a man started rambling with a childish grin. 

My eyes started to roll when I turned and found it was the patient who had came in yesterday with a broken femur.

"Oh yeah? The day for what Mr. Sinclair?" I asked, staring at my clipboard unamused. 

"You're gonna go on a date with me." Sinclair sang

"Did you hit your head when you fell off that high wall? Maybe you got bit by some strange bugs there at basic?" I asked as I continued to write a list for supplies

"Ain't nothing wrong with me, I just know that today you're going to fall for this charm of mine" he grinned 

"Sorry I've already fallen for someone else's charm" I answered, starting to think about Turner. I turned to walk away but I had a crippled shadow tailing me.

"I already know that isn't true all of the nurses said you were seeing anyone one" he persisted. "So how about it? It'd be nice having someone to write to when we deploy" he continued anger boiled in my chest, my teeth gritted against each other while I reminded myself not to be an asshole.

"Then find a civilian who swoons for soldiers. You know someone who isn't gonna witness you getting blown up and your guts scattered" I lectured. My eyes locked on the doorway to the hall out of the recovery wing. 

He hobbled after me as I rounded the corner. I glassed the hall and found lieutenant Turner near the doorway. My jaw dropped, my eyes widened and my heart tried to beat out of my chest.