Chapter 3

The clock chime eight times while I questioned whether to unset the table or not. I checked on the bake in the oven and it was still warm. I had also set the old disgusting bake on the counter "it might be too early for jokes." I muttered as I walked out of the kitchen. I glanced across my apartment "I've already tidied my apartment so now what..." I hummed "oh I could freshen up my teeth and give myself a spritz of perfume!" I noted.

I strutted to the bathroom and turned my sink on to wet my toothbrush "oh I can get the dirty dishes washed before he gets here!" I realized mid brush.

I wanted to hurry but the moment I spritzed my perfume on the neck I instantly missed the Swills. "Smells like oranges" I smiled remembering the day they gave me this perfume. "Get it together Miriam you got dishes to do" I lectured mentally waving away the clouds my head was stuck in.

I ran back to the kitchen and each step borrowed my eyebrows together. "I'm sure tired of finding things to do while I wait and I'm sure any guardian angels watching over my shoulder are too" I muttered as I turned on the sink. "Please just get your ass over here soon Turner I can't think of anything else to do while I wait" I grumbled.

I set the last dish to dry beside the counter and glanced at the clock above the stove
"It's barely 8:30" I softly shrieked, starting to wonder if I had misunderstood Turner, while awkwardly wandering my little apartment.

"I might have too many ducks" I whispered staring at my little wooden figurines my grandfather carved me, and the pictures that hung on the wall "I wonder what's worse being a crazy cat lady or a crazy duck lady," I muttered as I picked up the figurines and placed them on my dresser.

My eyes darted along the top of the dresser and I spotted a pile of papers I still needed to read for the hospital. "Well mental illnesses it looks like you and I get to delve into battle fatigue" I whispered as I picked up the papers ready to hunker down on the couch.

In the blink of an eye the clock began to chime nine and I looked out the large bay windows in my living room, hoping I'd see someone at least walking to my apartment complex. it was only the third floor. It couldn't have been too hard to find. I continued reading, contemplating whether or not I should turn out the lights. When the clock read 9:15 my heart sank to my stomach as I turned off the lamp next to my couch.

"Well obviously it was to just keep Sinclair away" I muttered glaring at the table.

"You know what I'm not even going to put these away I'll do it in the morning" I huffed

My hand was on the switch for the dining room light when I heard a knock on the door. I waited a couple seconds and went to answer it, I found a very tired Turner with a bottle of wine

"I hope you like white wine because that is all I could find" he said with a sheepish smile. I smiled and gestured for him to come in.

"With how late you are you must've looked through all of Massachusetts, here let me take your jacket" I offered as he entered the little apartment quietly putting it in the coat closet beside the door and followed him into the dining room.

"Sorry sneaking away was a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, especially after I turned in that cigar box with all the information." Turner apologized while looking around the apartment "your home is very nice" he smiled

"Oh, thank you, it's all mostly my landlord's furnishings but it's way better than staying in the nurses dorms. More privacy too." I explained praying he didn't notice the ungodly amount of duck paintings. "Have a seat, dinner is just in the oven" I said, gesturing to the table.

I hurried and grabbed a corkscrew when I grabbed the old casserole keeping a towel over it so I didn't spoil the joke too soon "I wish you had gotten here sooner" I explained while setting the bake on the table "it might be a touch cold now" I added uncovering the monstrosity. Turner's eyes widened for a second