Spidey on a Skewer

A/N

Alright people, listen up. I'm a day behind on this because I've been sick and I need to do a lot of homework. I have a volleyball game every day this week, and tonight I have to write an entire essay. I'll catch up sometime this week. x

TW: blood, gore, vomit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swinging from building to building was the greatest adrenaline rush ever felt. The wind hitting Peter's face felt fresh and clean, an anomaly in NYC. It was already deep into the night, but Peter wouldn't be able to sleep if he knew how perfect it was outside.

He flipped up from a swing and landed perched on a tall building, overlooking the beautiful city. Usually, if a patrol night was this quiet, he would get antsy, but tonight felt less like a thirst for crime and more like a refreshing glass of lemonade that was very much needed.

NYC at night was not much different than in the day. If anything, it was more lively. Instead of a slow jam of traffic and crowds of people heading to their nine-to-fives, a steady stream of conflicting pop songs floated from the clubs, and fancy cars zip by in street races.

Peter sighed deeply, content with watching and listening to the city that never sleeps. A quick prickle zings along the sides of his neck, like long fingernails dragging across his skin. His muscles tense as his Spidey-sense zings.

His heart rate accelerates as he scans around him and shifts from a comfortable crouch to his iconic "Spider pose" (product of May's brilliant naming abilities). A normal person would sense nothing wrong, but the slightest shadow to his right shifts. He turns, once again changing positions, this time standing with his fists curled and feet braced.

"Who's there?" his small voice is met by silence, his question ripped by the wind and pulled away into the sky. His enhanced vision continues to scan the top of the building. There's an AC unit and a small brick room with a door leading to the stairs inside. The shadow came from the side of the AC unit. 

"I know someone's there," Peter states, more confident. If this person had tried to gain the upper hand by surprise, they obviously picked the wrong vigilante to use this tactic on. Peter's about to take a step toward the unit, when a sharp clap cuts through the silence. More follow, and eventually a long whistle joins the chorus. Goosebumps spread over Peters skin. 

A green-clad figure, the source of the noise, begins to step out from behind the large metal unit. Mysterio, lacking his crystal-ball-helmet-thing, emerges bathed in dim moonlight. His face is split in a grin.

"Beck? But...but I-I killed you! I saw with my own eyes!"

Beck shook his head, as if disappointed. "Oh no, Peter, Peter, Peter. I thought that you would figure it out by now." He clicked his tongue disapprovingly, while shaking his head.

"Figure what out? No...no this is i-impossible! You died! EDITH told me!" Peter looked him up and down rapidly, confused and angry. 

Beck sighed. "I made huge elemental monsters and convinced the entire world, including Nick Fury, that I had superpowers, and yet you don't believe that I could cause a tiny little illusion of you little robot telling you that I was dead? I'm mostly just offended that you think this lowly of me."

Peter opened him mouth to speak, but found himself opening and closing it like a fish, both disbelief and realization hitting him at the same time.

"What's the matter Peter? Spider got your tongue?"

Peter, proven to be absolutely incredible at responding to shocking scenarios with clever comebacks, swallowed roughly, and said, "Uh...b-but that wasn't actually Nick Fury." He cleared his throat awkwardly, and looked back at Beck.