Love is Sometimes Selfish

I remember how excited so was the day I moved to Dream Land. It just sounded like a place filled with happiness and new opportunities. I remember staying up late at night reading history books by torch light and memorising map routes in preparation for my big move to this wonderful kingdom.

My father grew up in Dream Land, born in a small village called Cappy Town, where he became a servant to the King once he was of working age. Not King Dedede - this was the previous ruler, Dedede's father.

Eventually my father moved away from Dream Land, where he met my mother and they had me. Those years must have meant a lot to him though, because all throughout my childhood my father would tell me stories of Dream Land, stories of the King, of his time working and living in the grand castle on the hill.

"But if you loved it so much, why did you leave?" I asked one evening at bedtime.

My father sighed. "Sometimes you can have fond memories of a place, but deep down, you still know it isn't right for you. Even though it hurts, you have to move on in order to continue growing as a person." He ruffled my hair. "You'll understand when you grow up, Riri."

I didn't understand. I didn't think it mattered.

Of course I cried the day I left home. I thought back to my father's words, about needing to leave a place in order to grow as a person, and I understood what he meant. At least, I thought I did.

I remember carrying my heavy suitcase through the peaceful village of Cappy Town, I peered up at the castle on top of the hill in the distance. My eyes lit up at the sight - it looked just like my father had described in all his stories, and as I approached the building I felt like I was walking into a real-life fairytale. I was sure I'd feel like a princess once I moved in, even if I was living in servant's quarters.

Reaching the top of the hill, panting with exhaustion, I watched in awe as the castle drawbridge lowered to let me in. A small round orange creature with one giant eye was waiting on the other side.

"You must be Erika," he said, and I nodded. "I'm Waddle Doo, the head guard here at Castle Dedede.

"That's right," I confirmed, heaving my heavy luggage to my side.

"Is that your stuff? The Waddle Dees will take care of that for you." Waddle Doo called out into the open, "Hey, fellas! Over here!"

Before I had a chance to ask what a Waddle Dee was, a troupe of small round creatures with large black eyes marched into view. Two of them picked up my suitcase and carried it into the castle. Another four surrounded me, and started guiding me in another direction, lead by Waddle Doo. I felt a little uneasy.

Finally, after several long hallways and winding stairs, we reached a large door.

"This is King's throne room," Waddle Doo explained. "Go on in. King Dedede is expecting you."

I nervously eased the door open and entered the throne room for the first time, accompanied by the same Waddle Dees who guided me. There on the throne was a large blue penguin dressed in royal red robes - King Dedede, the ruler of Dream Land. Up until this point I had only seen him in photographs, so it was a little surreal, perhaps even a little intimidating, to see him in person. Wanting to make a good first impression, I meekly approached the throne and bowed before the King.

"It's a honour to be in your presence, Your Majesty."

"You're Erika?" the King spoke.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Starting tomorrow, you'll be working for me. I expect loyalty, and I expect you to follow orders without question, ya hear?"

"It will be an honour to serve the great ruler of Dream Land." I hated the way he was talking down to me, but I knew I had to suck up a little to get on his good side. OK, I was sucking up a lot, but it was necessary. "Thank you for this opportunity." With another bow, I turned to leave, only to find myself face to face with an unfamiliar snail who measured up slightly shorter than me.