Chapter 21

Ethan stepped inside the car and fastened the seat belt. He hadn’t turned the engine when the phone he’d gotten from Tony’s pocket started to vibrate. He pulled it out, answered the call, and put it on loudspeaker.

     “Is it done?”

     He placed the caller to be Clinton. He finally got the chance to speak to his framer.

     “Your men are down, Mr. Attorney General.”

     A pregnant silence fell, then he said, “Mr. Willows. I didn’t expect you’d be breathing by now.”

     “Let me guess,” he said snarkily, “you thought your men would kill me. Well, as the old saying goes, if you want something done, do it yourself.”

     “You’re a fugitive from justice. It’s only a matter of time before you’re captured and condemned to death. That’s what you deserve after all.”

     He retorted, “You wish. I took down your men. If you send another, I will take them down one by one until I finally get to you.” He said the words in a slow monotonous voice for them to register in his brain and send the emphasis he wanted to deliver.

     “I know about the allegations against Admiral Peterson. I’m just not sure how you fit in, but from the looks of things, I’m certain you’re his accomplice.”

     Clinton laughed. “As you said, they’re allegations, which means you don’t have proof. I’m the U.S. Attorney General, and you’re nothing more than a veteran navy commander gone rogue. The world thinks you’re a mass murderer. It’d be very difficult to prove your innocence, especially when you’ve got nobody to help you.”

     Ethan scoffed. “Well, for your information, I didn’t hit the convoy transporting me. Someone did. Someone thinks I’m innocent. Someone powerful enough to hit a state convoy. You do the math, Clinton.”

     “You’re bluffing.”

     “I’m not, and you know that. By the end of the day, I’m going to find you and Admiral Peterson and make sure you pay for all the crimes you’ve committed.”

     “Good luck with that.” Clinton clicked off.

     Ethan threw the phone through the window, started the car, and pulled out from the designated spot he had parked.

# # #

     Clinton sprang up from the chair he was sitting on in his penthouse and hurled the telephone at the wall. It smashed into pieces. This couldn’t be happening. Twice now his men had failed his commands. They couldn’t kill Ethan and the Judge. How bad could it get?

      Well, he did agree with the fugitive on one thing. If you want something done, then do it yourself. His rage today was nothing compared to anything he’d ever felt. He pulled his hair backward and spent the next minutes pacing the room and tearing the place apart.

     A while later, he stopped to look at the mess he’d created. He thought of what Ethan had said about someone breaking him out. Deep down, he knew Ethan couldn’t have devised such a plan on his own. He had help. But from whom?