Chapter 21

I creep downstairs hoping I don't wake anyone since it's only 7 am. While Nonna and Rico weren't here, the place was locked down and security increased. No one came in, other than staff. And no left without security approving it. Even getting consent to go home yesterday was an ordeal.

Once I reach the bottom of the staircase, I tip toe after getting a glimpse of security patrolling through the main doors. Philip, head of security, recommends I stay within the estate. But I'm not convinced, since I don't feel any safer here than I do beyond the mansion's electric fence.

As I make my way along the hall, towards the back of the mansion where the heated pool is, I glance over my shoulder to check I'm alone; and I am. Security may be a major part of the Mancini lifestyle, but I trust them as much as I fear them after what Dom did. Nonetheless, I do as asked—watching and listening—suspicious of anyone who works for the Mancini's or who enters the mansion.

But in the meantime, while trying to stick to my confinement, I keep busy: I swim laps, play tennis and workout. I'll incorporate anything at this point to keep my mind in a healthy head space and get my body fit and ready for the next time Dom comes for me. And I believe he will. He may be gone for now, but he hasn't given up. This seems little more than a reprieve until they figure out their next move. Fact is, anyone of security could be working with Dom and waiting for another opportunity.

A moment later, I'm pushing the pool door open and entering the room. The foul smell of pot and people scattered around the large space asleep surprises me. Clearly, Rico's party continued on into the night.

As I scan the area, I spot Rico sitting at the bar, eyes closed and hunched over, looking like he's a sleep. He looks to be dressed in the same black trousers and shirt he had on when he arrived last night. I guess after spending so much time in a hospital bed, he's glad to be free to do as he wants.

I walk towards the bar, passing a man stretched out on the lounge. The sight of two white lines on the table has me dusting it to the floor.

"What the fuck are you doing?!"

As I rub my fingers together to rid them of the drugs, I turn to face the angry man glaring at me. "Rico has younger siblings living in this house," I tell him. "You shouldn't leave that rubbish sitting around for them to find."

"Do I look like I give a fuck?" The man sits up and waves his big hand at the table. "That was my breakfast!"

I shrug. "Plenty of cereal in the kitchen."

His top lip twitches, and he rises to his feet. My head falls back between my shoulders, and I gulp as I take in this giant of a man towering over me in a black coat and jeans. Even though he's huge and intimidating in every way to a small person like me, I do my best not to show fear.

He lowers his head, and his nose invades my space. "Don't get smart! Just get your arse movin and go find me more."

"Get your nose out of my face before I bite it."

His nostrils flare. "I might like that."

"Trust me, you won't. Now get out of my face!" I tell him.

He grabs my upper arm, yanking me to him. "How about you and I go find that cereal? We'll take a detour on the way there."

The sound of a gun barrel turning has the tall man in front of me freezing to the spot and releasing my arm. A sudden wave of fear fills his brown eyes, his hard features freeze in fright, and his body stiffens as Rico presses his pistol to the back of his head.

"Meet my wife, bitch!"

"Oh, fuck me," the other man whispers. "Rico, I didn't know she was your wife! Swear to God."