8) Attempt at Heroism

When Midnight finally finished dressing me like a Barbie doll, we walked downstairs and overheard Scion and Darrius talking. "I look like a penguin," Darrius told Scion. "Why do we have to go to this? I mean seriously, what's the point?"

"The point is that we were chosen to come here," I said when I came into view. "I don't know about you, but I for one am looking forward to meeting the ones who wanted us here so badly."

Darrius was about to say something, but the moment he saw me, whatever he was about to say turned into a speechless stare. Scion, on the other hand, looked at me like a proud father. "You look very beautiful Xamera."

"Thank you Scion," I nodded and walked over to him. "You both look very handsome. Despite the penguin suit." I joked.

"Xam," Darrius looked up and down my dress. "You look like Cinderella..."

I groaned out loud as Midnight came up behind me and rubbed my shoulders. "Apparently, Cinderella isn't her favorite character." She answered Scion's questioning look.

"Xamera," Scion took my arm in his. "By the end of tonight, people will be saying 'Cinderella who?' compared to how you look."

"Thank you Scion..." I mumbled.

"Is everyone ready?" Midnight asked.

"The others are already there and Yuki and Jason are already in bed." Scion informed her.

"Oh, then I'll be right back." I went back upstairs.

"Xamera," Midnight and Scion called after me. "We don't have time for this."

"I just want to say goodnight to Yuki, five minutes tops." I scooped up the front of my dress as I hurried up the stairs to Yuki's room. "Yuki, are you still awake?"

"Mom?" she mumbled as she sat up rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "Is something wrong?"

"No sweetie, I just wanted to bid you goodnight." I walked into her room and sat on the edge of her bed.

"You look pretty mom," Yuki said as she crawled over into my lap and wrapped her arms around my neck. "I wish I could go with you."

"Maybe when you're older," I said as I hugged her. "I have to get going; I will come to check on you when I come back, okay?"

She nodded and yawned as I placed her back down and tucked her in. "I love you mom," she said drowsily while she closed her eyes.

"I love you too sweetie," I kissed her forehead. "Sleep tight." I looked next to her and saw Montego looking up at me. "Keep her safe for me Montego," I whispered as I leaned over and kissed his head.

"Don't worry about the kids," Montego told me. "Nothing will happen as long as I'm here."

"I am counting on that," I straightened myself and headed back to the others. "Okay, I'm ready to go." I said at the foot of the stairs as Midnight draped a wrap over my shoulders.

"So you won't get cold." She told me. "Now let's get going before we are dreadfully late." Midnight and Scion led Darrius and me to the carriage that was waiting for us outside.

"Okay...now we have officially entered into fairytale." I thought out loud. "Is everyone else seeing what I am?"

"Yeah," Darrius said in the same awe struck tone as me. "This place really needs to come up to speed. Don't you think?"

I nodded in agreement. Despite the fact that the carriage was gorgeous, it was still from the models of fairytales and that was normally for small children to believe in. Everything seemed like it all came from a dream. It just seemed too good to be true.