21

"so...it's another metaphor?"

"I think" Louis flops down in his chair, running his hand on his restricted stomach "in the note he says an enemy can be a friend.... so the killer is our enemy?"

"what fucking enemies do we even have" harry rubs his hands along his tired face. they spent ten minutes staring at the unnerving piece of pinned paper only to be tangled up in another metaphor that the killer had created.

"so..what? this killer thinks he's a poet?" Louis murmurs underneath his cold coffee cup that he regularly takes a sip of just to keep his mind occupied.

"and he's fucking smug about it too" harry sighs.

"you shouldn't be working on this case" Louis points out gingerly when he notices the discomfort seeping through Harry's features. harry meets his gaze and his eyes glint with a hint of sadness.

"did Anthony find you....another partner?" the words rigidly slip off of harry tongue almost as if each word is gripping the inside of his mouth as tightly as they can. louis' shoulders tense at the mention of the topic.

"he texted me this morning that he found three partners for me. I'll just have to choose one out of them" Louis doesn't meet Harry's eyes, instead he let's it settle on a loose thread on his sweater.

harry let's out a soft breath but then, he smiles. his smile seeps sunlight right through louis' veins and fills him with nothing but comfort "what are you waiting for then? go now"

"don't you think-"

"No, go now. he's waiting for you" Louis hesitantly stands up when Harry gestures for him to do so. harry walks over to him and pecks his pouty lips, smiling gently when a Rosy color seeps through louis' defined cheeks.

"choose wisely, okay?" Louis tiptoes his way to another kiss that was described as a hint more passionate before he leaves the office with one last look shared between him and Harry.

walking alone without Harry's shoulder bumping into him sends a deep feeling of dread into louis' stomach when he realizes he'll be left to deal with it daily since tomorrow. he looks around. each detective is tired around paper work and their equally tired partner, but when Harry's around it erupts flowers in his chest.

he reaches Anthony's door. he's breathing his nerves out when his phone buzzes. it's a text :

H.S : you'll do great. stop worrying.

he smiles down at his dimming phone screen and bites his lip, hand finally placing a knock on the door. it's answered with a 'come in'

he opens the door to the office hesitantly , nerves pooling In his stomach. it's nothing against Anthony, infact he's one of the kindest bosses he'd've met in his life. but it's the idea of choosing someone else, someone else to replace harry , that's what's tightening his stomach.

Anthony's tired eyes fall onto Louis and they morph into his usual warm eyes , lips forming a small smile "Tomlinson"

"uh....hi" his throat feels constricted and his skin is slightly clammy. he looks pale enough for Anthony to stand from his desk concerned.

"woah...you okay?" asks Anthony. Louis shrugs him off with a smile and walks over to the desk , sitting down after Anthony worriedly gestures for him to do so.

Louis coughs out "so..my partners. I need to choose one"

Anthony's eyes turn serious and his lips purse, shoulders tensing with a feeling that Louis fights off with daily "right.." he walks back to his desk and provides three files for Louis to check through.