Moon 1

(Credit for art goes to Pitcrew.me)

I gasped in pain as the mugger slammed me against the wall repeatedly, never giving me a chance to recover.

I whimpered as he finally let me go and I crumpled to the ground, in no condition to stand. Suddenly, as the man loomed over me, I heard a voice. 

 "Let her go!" Someone yelled. I managed to look up just in time to see a boy in a green hoodie charging at the mugger. Thinking fast, the mugger pulled out a dagger and grabbed me, holding it to my throat.

"Don't take another step or she gets it," he warned. I couldn't help but let out a small whimper as the boy skidded to a halt, eyes darting around for any way to help me. I was so close to death, so close to dissapearing and leaving behind nothing but a bloodied corpse. I had no legacy, no one to wonder where I was, and really - what had I done to help the city?

Nothing. I had done nothing, and now I would never get the chance to make a difference. I vowed to myself, right then and there, that if I survived this I would make a difference. I would help people, somehow, some way.

"Please. If you kill her, you will have her blood on your hands, and I will not ever let you get away with her murder. But if you let her go, right now, I promise you that neither of us will press charges. Leave now and this never will have happened. Don't do this," the boy pleaded. My eyes were wide, staring into his, and the intensity and determination I saw in them was nearly frightening. Why did he want to help me? Did he not recognize me, somehow?

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Bullying is not encouraged," a new voice said in a condescending, almost joking way. He was out of my eyesight, so I tried to turn my head to see who it was, but the mugger pressed the knife tighter against my throat. It just barely pierced the skin, a singular drop of blood running down my neck, and I squeezed my eyes shut for a second.

"Don't come any closer," the mugger warned again, though he seemed more panicked now. Who was the new guy? I was panicking as well, as the mugger subconsciously pressed down harder with the knife. I let out a whimper of pain, a few tears I was unable to hold back or wipe away sliding down my cheeks. I hated people seeing me weak and it was taking all of my strength to appear strong, though I was failing.

Suddenly the mugger's weight shifted and I could tell his head was turned. This was my chance. I kicked him in the shin so hard I'm 90% sure I heard a crack, then reached up and wrestled the knife out of his grasp before he could stab me. I then whirled around and pointed the knife at the mugger, who was now on the concrete holding the leg I had kicked.

I grinned in satisfaction, then, never turning my gaze away from the mugger, I asked, "So, who're you guys?"

"Just a concerned citizen," I heard the boy reply.

"Your friendly Spider-Man," the other responded.

"Friendly neighborhood what?" I demanded.

"Spider-Man," he repeated, "The superhero."

"Wow. Really heroic thing you've got going there. Do you generally require mugging victims to take down their own mugger?" I inquired sarcastically.

"Sorry. I was about to help, but you got to him first. Nice job, by the way," he complimented. I felt him approaching from behind and then webs were suddenly shot at the mugger, pinning him to the ground. I pulled up my hood, hiding my face, and turned to leave.

"Wait," the boy in the green hoodie suddenly spoke up. To be honest I had forgotten he was there. "Where're you going?"

"School," I replied shortly, and continued on my way.