Chapter 24

As I take the elevator down to the garage, I step towards the mirror to inspect my fake lashes and bright red lips. I draw in a breath and wonder what tonight will bring. It may not be a dinner for world peace, but it's dinner with mobsters. Either way, I'm nervous. Last time I went out like this, I never came back. Hopefully tonight will be nothing like that one.

The elevator pings, the doors open, and I turn around in my black heels and black silk dress and face security.

"Evening, Mr.'s Mancini. The limo is ready and waiting for you in the garage."

I smile and nod as I exit. "Thank you."

My heels click on the cement as I leave the corridor and enter the garage full of luxury vehicles. As I approach the limo, another man opens the door.

"Evening Mr.'s Mancini. You can take a seat. Rico's on his way down."

"Thank you." As I climb inside the spacious, well-lit limo, my eyes connect with Gia stretched out on the seat, legs crossed at the ankles. 

My heart starts to pound.

"Well, look at you all dressed up to impress my boyfriend."

I take the opposite seat to her, staying close to the open door. "That's not true. This outfit was selected for me, for this event, not for Rico."

"Yeah, and make sure you remember that, because he's mine. If I even think you're after him, I give you another severing, worse than the one I gave you at the hospital."

While Gia cranks her head to peer out the door, I tap away at my phone, sending Nonna a message:

What's going on? I'm in the limo with Gia. Is she meant to be here—I'm confused?

I hit send and wait for her reply.

A moment later, I hear security telling Rico I'm already in the car waiting. Within seconds, he appears at the open door, eyeing me up and smelling divine in his woody cologne. His calm expression tenses when he sees Gia. "What the hell are you doing here? We're about to leave."

She smiles and pulls herself up. "I know. I'm just here for the ride. Once they drop you and," she snarls as she looks at me, "her off, I'll ride back with them. Easy."

Rico takes a seat opposite me in a black suit without a tie, looking more than sexy as Trav, Dom's replacement, climbs in after him, taking the seat beside me. The door shuts and Gia slides across the seat to get closer to Rico. "Baby, I didn't mean what I said. I'm sorry for everything." She tells him. "And I don't wanna fight with you."

Besides the awkwardness of watching this happen, the car is full of tension, and I'm almost certain none of us wants to be here.

Rico doesn't say a word; instead, he tilts his head, and his eyes roam my body. I keep my expression unreadable, but he doesn't bother hiding his lopsided smile as the corner of his mouth lifts.

"Hey!" Gia takes his chin in her hand and turns his head to face her. "Are you listening. I said I'm sorry about before."

He pulls his chin from her hand. "Woman, I'm done hearing it."

She rubs her nose against his cheek, her eyes on me, as she turns his head and kisses his mouth. My gut turns in disgust. I shouldn't have to watch this. But for whatever reason she's doing it, I know part of it is to rile me up and rile me up she has. Just the sight of her climbing into his lap and her tongue in his mouth has my fist clenching. She grinds against him. "I'm gonna show you just how sorry I am, baby." Gia turns back to me with a gloating smirk. "Turn away, bitch, unless you wanna watch me fuck your husband."