2...

Devil Cookie stared at their stolen newspaper. They barely knew how to read, so there wasn't really a point in stealing it, but they always loved to stare at the pictures in the sports column. It made them feel smart to look like they're actually reading.

They saw Espresso Cookie walking out of the local bar. He noticed them and asked,
"Hey, kid, can I take a look at that?" Devil handed him the newspaper. Espresso sat down in front of them on the dusty, concrete ground.

"Is that..." Espresso showed Devil the front page. "...you?"
Devil Cookie stared the picture. It was them in front of a group of people from their hometown.
"Yeah." They replied, as if they didn't care. "I'm from Sparrton."

"What brings you here?"
"As if I would know. Read the news, dum-dum."

Despite the child's rude comment, he read the column on the front page. It said,
'Three lucky groups of people from the town of Sparrton have travelled to Edgewind to escape from the recent happenings that have happened in their hometown! Herb Cookie, the local florist of Edgewind, told one of our interviewers, "I sincerely hope that the people of Sparrton have a good life here, but it's not very likely. I was actually quite shocked to learn they would choose Edgewind, of all places. They would have lived a better life in rich places like New Chestnut. Then again, they would never be accepted by those snobby rich folks."
Because of this event, the Edgewind reaping has been organised to bring four people to the Hunger Games, two from Sparrton, and two from Edgewind.'

Espresso mumbled, "Only three groups...must be some town."
"Hey, can I have my newspaper back?"
He handed the newspaper back to Devil Cookie.
"Thanks for the newspaper, kid."

303 words 😋😋