Chapter 1: Journey's Beginning

In the branches of a tree, above a river, stood a young lady with her dirty blonde hair in a ponytail, causing it to reach below her shoulders. In her hand, the one with the strange mark, was an orange headscarf. She looked down to see a blonde with her hair loose and a dog following her. She wore a blue dress with a white undershirt, around her waist was an orange apron. The lady with the dirty blonde hair jumped down from the tree and handed the blonde the headscarf.

 "Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver!" Said the blonde. 

 "Had a feeling that this was yours Gemma, and how right I was." Responded the dirty blonde. Gemma tied the headscarf around her head, ensuring to the it snugly.

 "Trust me to lose my headscarf just before the big ceremony!" Gemma said jokingly. "So it's finally here - the big day! I don't know about you Lumina, but I certainly can't believe we're going to be climbing all the way up there!"

Lumina turned to face her childhood friend, "Well you'd better believe it Gem! We're sixteen years old making us adults and it's tradition." The dog standing next to Gemma then ran towards the giant rock.

 "Hee hee!  Looks like Sandy's keen to lead the way!" Said Gemma. "Come on! Best not keep her waiting! " The two girls walked towards the Tor, giggling at the dogs excitement. 

"Mum!" Lumina called out to the woman towards the bridge.

"Lumina! Just look at you! My little girl, all grown up! Now, be sure to look after Gemma , you hear? To think, you've been inseparable since you were tiny, and here you are, about to climb the Tor together! Oh, and if you ever lose your way, just follow Sandy. That dog's got more sense than any of us! Off you go now, dear! I know the two of you will be just fine! And I'll make sure there's a delicious supper waiting for you when you get back! Oh and I believe that Flora's somewhere on the Tor, so when you see her, tell her I want her to be careful." Amber smiled at the girl she had raised as she went to speak with Dunstan.

"Lumina. seeing you and my dear Gemma all set for your big day makes me proud as anything-both as a mayor and as a grandfather. You're not kids anymore, you know- no you're grown- up now, and that means going to the Tor an offering your thanks. Now, it's time you were on your way. Head up to the top, give praise to the Spirit of the Land, then come back down and tell us how you like the view!"

"Will do Mayor Dunstan!" Lumina said while saluting to the Mayor.

 "'Humble folk of Cobblestone, Great Land Spirit's hearth and home...' That's how it goes, isn't it?" Lumina turned to look at Gemma, who was looking up at the Tor. "My granddad 's been teaching me the prayer ever since I was little. He reckons the Spirit of the Land really does life on Cobblestone Tor, you see. As long as I can remember, he's been preparing me for this day... The day it would finally be my turn to climb all the way up there and offer my thanks..." After saying Gemma turned to Lumina with a frown on her face, and her eyes in the shape of a glare. "I just wonder whose idea it was in the first place, sending the village's young folk on such a dangerous errand. What if I take a tumble and do myself a mischief?" The expression on her face disappeared a few seconds after she said those words. "Well not to worry - since you and I were both born on the same day, I'm lucky enough to have a bodyguard along for the journey!"

Lumina shot a playful glare of her own at Gemma, causing her to flinch. Both of the girls started giggling when they heard Sandy barking at something. They looked to see what it was that had her in such a tizzy. 

 "Eeek! Monsters! They're coming this way!" Gemma stepped a few inches away from her original location while Lumina readied her sword. 

The monsters that had startled Gemma were slimes  and were made short work of by Lumina and Sandy.