009, photography

Before the summer Malia had a good life

Before the summer Malia had a good life. She had two loving parents, her sister had just gotten married to one of the most amazing people on planet earth, her best friend in the entire world was her boyfriend and she was on the winning dance team. Now her dad was dead, her now ex-boyfriend hated her guts, her sister and her husband got a divorce and her mom had made an impromptu leave to a different country. If you asked Malia why this was all happening to her, she would tell you it was because the universe straight-up hated her guts, and for once in her life, she wished she was wrong.

The girl was sitting down at her kitchen counter reading the news on her phone. So many reporters had accused Nate of killing Simon, a couple were about her and the others. "Honey, you should stop staring at your phone, you'll get square eyes," Vivian told her daughter as she plopped around the kitchen.

"I'm not twelve." She glared at the screen on her phone before checking the time. She started getting up grabbing her bag off the floor. "I have to go." Malia tried to leave as quickly as she could but her mom called out to her causing the girl to turn around. "Save it, okay? I do not have the energy or time to deal with your string of apologies that I don't care about." Vivian closed her mouth looking defeated. "I'll see you later."

Arriving at school she narrowly dodged the millions (probably like two) camera crews outside the building and made it to her locker before the bell. She hated the fact everyone was staring at her, making snide comments about almost being a mom. She also overheard some people being angry with her because they thought she killed it. Before she even knew it she was sitting in Miss Stevens's office as she was questioned about the post. "Malia you know what you're here for don't you?" The young girl nodded. "I just need to know if it is true. That's all."

"You need to know if I killed my baby?" Malia asked almost mockingly. With a pointed look from the older woman, she calmed herself down slightly. "I didn't kill it. My medication and an unborn child didn't mix well." Miss Stevens gave her a sympathetic look, but the teenager just shrugged it off. "Look I know this makes me look really fragile, but I got over it as fast as I could. I think everyone else needs to do the same." She had grieved for a long time over her dad, then she had to grieve over her baby then Simon. She wasn't a stranger to the emotion, but she knew when it needed to happen and when she needed to shove it down and not look back.