Tea and Mornings

Indistinct chimming of the tiny bells attached to her anklets were the only sounds that could be heard in the silence of the night as the one who adorned them around her feet moved along the dimly lit corridor. Clad in a simple silver organza saree, she carried the appearance of last remaining rays of moonlight dispersing into the dawn sky.  In her hands was a well polished wooden tray laid with two big sized cups with steam rising from them. She hurried her steps, trying her best to stop at a pace that would be enough to not get the hot drinks she was carrying, cold, but also such that she did not accidentally spill any of it.

Ram liked this meal of the day most; herbal tea with extra tulsi. She took a moment to lovingly gaze at the tea. Tulsi was not easy to find in this cold climate and she had had it specially transported to her. The smile gracing her lips widened, she loved brewing tea for her Ram, having spent hours one day just to exact the perfect concoction of ingredients to make it. The nearly childish, gleeful smile that would light up his face each morning at being given his tea was her most rewarding as well as thrilling moment of the day.

Or rather the only moment in the day where they didn't have any invisible walls between them, when Ram would still be unguarded under the collective effects of medicines and sleep. Sita shook her head, hastily hushing 
the voice  voicing these mental ramblings but no sooner had she done so, her mind plunged into a memory;a recent, deeply ingrained memory.

The sun was bright overhead casting little to no shadows. Her back was completely soaked with sweat; she had been quick to hide it under her saree's anchal crossed over her other shoulder. The heat from the noon sun and the constant dry cold of the region defined the terrible weather condition of that moment. Silence was everywhere minus the occasional hushed whispers of officers and soldiers as they all stood there in anticipation, their eyes on the gates of the check post.

As for her she was afraid to even blink, she didn't want to miss on any second with Ram. After months of agony and imagining worst possible scenarios and fighting the pessimistic mind with hope, she was finally to see her Ram again. Her ears subconsciously picked the rhythmic ticking of her wrist watch; they had been standing for over an hour now. It would take some more minutes until a pair of well known and long not seen eyes locked with hers and held her in hypnotic gaze. She had imagined doing several things when she would get to see him but to stand frozen and unaware of her surroundings was not one of them. 

"My Sita Mahalakshmi"

That gentle voice drew her back. It was a name only one man inthe world would call her by and now he was standing so close to her, his one hand wrapping around her waist. She had shivered, unlike before his hand did not feel  strong and protective but weak and bony.

"Ram" she had managed to utter, raising a shaky hand to touch his face.

"Yes my Sita Mahalakshmi. I am back." he had answered with utmost adoration, clasping her raised hand between his palm and cheek.

And with that she had broken uncontrollable tears, the joy of present and fears of past both breaking out.

She bit her lip to keep her emotions at bay. That had been the last time since Ram had returned when they had been themselves, how they had been before the storm swept in. After returning he had immediately reported to the regiment on an 'emergency' and had returned with occluded eyes.

Deftly balancing the tray on one hand, Sita opened the door to Ram's bedroom. She was lucky, extremely lucky and she admitted her gratefulness to herself each day. When everyone had consoled her as though he were dead, when they had asked her to forget him now and start moving on, she had clung to her faith and love and  perhaps this perseverant hope of hers had miracalised in their reunion at last.

But sometimes at moments such as now she could not help these small complaints that she never spoke and no one ever heard but her own self. Moments such as now when she would have to wake a sleeping Ram in a helpless, selfish longing on her part, just to catch a glimpse of, if not bring  back her old Ram. Her Ram whom she loved dearly and she knew he still loved her like a queen, queen who reigned in his heart.

"Ram" she called softly.

She brushed her palm over his closed eyes earning a funny looking twitching of his lips. She smiled.