5 - The Visitor

Sunlight was pouring into the bedroom when Greta next woke. Immediately she was in a good mood with no memory of the previous night's strange events. This time she went to the window to let in the crisp morning air. She looked below and saw that Tia, Zoë and the boys were near the garden and moving in slow synchronicity. Greta watched their peaceful, intricate gestures and felt a calm come over her. Tia was such a big woman. Greta was surprised she could move so delicately.

Dinora joined her at the window. "Isn't she..." Dinora yawned before finishing, "...beautiful? She was a professional dancer before she retired."

Greta reached for her jeans. She found a green swimsuit in the closet and put it on, not knowing if there would be a place to change at the beach. The YMCA had lockers and Greta heard people talk about changing rooms at beaches. Still, little so far had been as she had thought, and Greta decided to err on the side of caution. She put on the jeans and a tee shirt that fit perfectly. The sweater looked too burdensome so she grabbed a light jacket instead and ran down the stairs.

Dinora was at the buffet, where Tia had laid out another magnificent meal. Greta took a plate and linen napkin and chose two pancakes topped with fresh strawberries and real whipped cream. She joined Dinora and they ate together in happy silence. The screen door in the kitchen banged shut and Zoë and the boys tumbled in. They were all out of breath.

Mario poured himself a cup of coffee and sank into a chair. "Zoë, you must have passed your prime. I almost beat you today." Mario took a sip of his drink.

"Oh, and I'm sure that had nothing to do with your giant helper here." Zoë shoved Seymour before they adorned their plates with breakfast.

"Hey, don't blame me if you can't keep your concentra-" Seymour stopped in mid-sentence and stared at the doorway.

The rest also turned.

That must be him, Greta thought, memories of last night rushing back. She had expected an adult but before her stood a young man. Despite the conservative suit he was wearing, he looked to be only fifteen or sixteen at most. He was a boy. Greta was confused. Dinora had said it would just be the five of them. Why wouldn't Tia have mentioned anything?

Tia came out of the kitchen and put her hands on the boy's shoulders. "Peter, good morning. Good morning," she said in a chipper voice as if nothing strange was going on at all. "Everyone, this is Peter. He'll be with us for a while. Peter, these are Seymour, Zoë, Mario, Dinora and Greta."

Peter nodded his head slightly forward. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance." His voice was deeply resonant and he spoke with what Greta thought might be a British accent. In fact, if she didn't see this black boy in front of her and just had his voice to go on, she'd assume he was white-a businessman or a butler for a rich family. Greta had thought Mario was formal. This boy was positively distinguished. He made Mario look like a.... Greta couldn't find the right word. She settled for "goofball."

"Hello," everyone mumbled in unison, looking nonplussed.

Greta liked the idea that here was one thing where she knew more about what was going on than her companions, even if it wasn't much. "It's nice to meet you," she added.

"Peter, there's breakfast on the buffet and plenty of it. Plenty of it. You just help yourself. Would you like some coffee? Or tea perhaps?" Tia twittered nervously.

"Tea, yes. Thank you."

"Seymour, pour Peter some tea, will you? Thank you, darling." Tia had guided Peter to the buffet where he took the cup and saucer offered by Seymour. Again Greta saw a slight nod of his head before he rounded the table and sat down, leaving an empty seat on either side of him.