28 - The Lesson

Greta lurched awake with a gasp. The vestiges of her nightmare still clung to her. It had been cold and she didn't know where she was. She was scared and couldn't breathe. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get any air. It was the same nightmare that had continued to plague her, ever since...

"Tia!" Dinora yelled recklessly. "She's awake!"

Greta winced at the volume, prompting Dinora to turn and ask softy, "Are you alright, Greta?" She didn't wait for a response. "We've all been so worried about you. All of us. We thought you might die—you almost did. At least that's what I heard Dr. Ingraham say to Tia. He told her it was a good thing Daniel got you to him so quickly because if not...if not.... Oh, it's just too awful.... And then for days and days with your fever and being unconscious, and then you had these convulsion things and—"

"Déjala, Dinora," Mario's voice interrupted reproachfully. "Give her a chance to get her bearings."

"Oh! Was I talking too much, Greta? I'm so sorry. It's just I'm so happy to see you alive and awake and.... Okay, I'll shut up now. I will. I won't say another word—well, not like ever—but for a long time—unless of course you want me to." She looked at her brother indignantly. "Some people find it comforting."

He mimed the zipping of lips. "I believe Tia needs help downstairs."

Dinora let out a small huff. "I'll be right back, Greta. Don't worry."

She left and Mario took her place on the chair positioned next to Greta's bed. He picked up her hand, pressing two of his fingers against her wrist while watching the small clock on her bedside table. To Greta, everything seemed surreal, like this itself was a dream—and not her own. She felt detached, as if she were a character in someone else's imaginings. She closed her eyes and withdrew.

²²²

The next time she awoke, it was dark. Greta vaguely remembered the room being filled with sunlight when Mario had been here, checking her pulse. Now the only light was from a small lamp perched on top of a mahogany dresser nearby. She furrowed her brow in concentration.

"You're up." This time it was Seymour's comforting voice which greeted her.

She smiled wanly. "I'm not in the girls' room," she said, her voice weak from lack of use.

"No. You're on the third floor—in the room next to Tia's."

"How long...." she started to ask, wondering why it was taking so much energy to speak.

"Have you been here?" confirmed Seymour.

Greta nodded.

"You've been back at Tia's for five days. Before that, you were with Dr. Ingraham for two."