Chapter Four

Monday. Serena.

I walked into school. It was raining so I just wore my gray sweatpants with my black jacket that said Boolin' on the back in gray letters. I'm just ready for practice. I'm always hype in practice. The bell rang and I made my way to English. I sat in the back. Monae sat next to me. I started texting some guys on the basketball team.
"What's wrong?" She looked at me serious.
"Nothing." I put my duffle bag on the floor and kept my eyes on my phone. I heard Sabrina walk in with her thot crew. They sat on the left side of the class.
"What is she wearing?" I heard them laugh. I kept my eyes glued to my phone and rolled them. I glanced at them. What the fuck are THEY wearing? It's raining and they're wearing skirts? Ok honey. I heard Zeke walk in with Chres. I turned to Monae. She waved at Chres. He smiles back. Sabrina and her crew started giggling when he spoke to them. Sabrina looked like she wanted to eat him. I wanted to laugh my ass off. I felt eyes on me. I looked around. It was Zeke. He mouthed the words.
"What's wrong?" Lord. There's nothing wrong people. I just shrugged my shoulders and went back to texting. The second bell rung and the rest of the class came in. I saw Jacob. He's my lowkey crush. Nobody knows about him. Not even Monae. He's on the Basketball team, hella smart and cute as hell. We don't talk much. Mainly because I have trust issues. I saw my english teacher, Mr. Ward walk in.
"Alright, Alright, Phones down. Hey, hey, Sabrina, Kayla, Shay, Marie. You know the rules, no perfume in class." He put his bag down and clapped his hands together.
"Alright. We have a new student. Mr. Chresanto August." He pointed to Romeo.
"Come up." He motioned for him to come to the front of the class. Oh god.
"Tell the class about yourself." All the girls even Monae got quiet and stared at him awe. I rolled my eyes and went back to my phone.
"Well. I moved here from California. I'm pretty chill. I play QB and running back in Football and Basketball. Both varsity. I'm not a nerd but, I'm pretty smart." He smiled. Mr. Ward nodded.
"Well. I look forward to seeing how you perform in my class. Any questions anybody?" Sabrina raised her hand.
"Are you single?" Everybody including me, laughed. But, Romeo answered anyway.
"Yes. I'm single but, I think this year. I might find a girl that can steal my heart." I felt him peep at me. What? Me? All the girls said "Awwwwee." Even Monae once again. I looked down and continued on my phone.
"Alright. Have a seat." I heard him sit down.
"He, will be mine." I heard Sabrina whisper. I rolled my eyes. These girls are so fucking thirsty.
"Ok. So last class we where discussing literary terms. Who can tell me what a paradox is and give me an example?" There was silence.
"Ok. Ms. Johnson. Since your phone seems a bit interesting. Why don't you tell the class what a paradox is?" All eyes fell on me. I looked up at him. I felt Romeo stare at me. I didn't care, I heard Sabrina and crew laugh.
"A paradox, Mr. Ward. Is a statement that contradics itself." Everyone looked at him. He looked surprised.
"That's correct. Wow. Uhhhh. Mr. August. Example please? And Ms. Johnson the phone away." I put it in my bag.
"An example of a paradox...I can relate that us guys actually. When a girl says she doesn't want to date but she does. Basically her head is telling her she doesn't but her heart says something else." All the guys agreed.
"Excellent usage of modern examples Mr. August. All right class. Grab a textbook from the back and open to page 254."

-

The bell rung, finally. I got up. Zeke, Monae and half the class was already heading out the door. Romeo can toward me.
"Nice way to try to talk to me." I said blankly referring to the example he gave in class earlier.
"I'm sorry. I don't know how to show you how sorry I am." I zipped my bag and threw it over my shoulder.
"Do me a favor." I folded my arms.
"Stop trying." I walked to my locker. I put my combination in and grabbed my notebook.
"Hey." I turned around and saw Sabrina and crew. I rolled my eyes.
"What?" I said bluntly.
"I saw you trying to talk to Chres. Back off. He's mine and you're not going to ruin that. Plus, you have Zeke anyway hoe." Okay, time to put this bitch in her place.
"One. I don't have anybody. Two. Chres doesn't date thots like you bitch. So, unless you gonna keep ya legs closed. Don't bother. He'll kick you to the corner. Where you belong." I kicked my locker shut. I walked off. I felt her grab my bun. I turned around and punched her in her face and she fell on the floor.
"Fuck outta here hoe!" Everyone stared at us. Her nose was bleeding, she looked up at me, angry.
"Daaaaamn." I saw Zeke and his crew walk up with their phones out. Everyone started laughing. I walked off. I don't have time for this.

-

Monae and the rest of the team sat next to me. I picked up my apple and bit it.
"Coach, gonna have you running suicides." Niyah said.
"Why?" I stared at her.
"You popped Sabrina dead in her face." Monae said before she did. Everyone laughed. I smiled and shook my head.
"Did she hit you?" Tianna asked.
"She tried pulling my hair. I'm guessing to put me on the floor but, I turned around and hit one good time." I made gestures. We all laughed. A couple of guys from the boys varsity team came and sat at our table.
"Ayo Rena. You punished her shit." He dapped me up.
"Yeah. Ima call her if I'm in a fight." I smiled and shook my head.
"AYO ROMEO, ZEKE. OVER HERE YO!" Marquis called them to our table when he saw them walk out of line.
Zeke sat next to me. Romeo next to Nae.
"Wassup?" I asked Zeke. He looked at his phone.
"These likes on instagram from the little pop Sabrina got." Everyone laughed. For the rest of the day, everyone talked about the incident. The final bell rang. I smiled. Time for practice.

-

"Alright ladies. For practice today, we're playing the boys. Johnson! Come here." I jogged to coach.
"I better not here about you hittin' nobody ever again or you're benched for the championship. I'd hate to bench one of my best players." I nodded.
"Ok coach." We heard the boys walk in. Oh shit. I saw Romeo. I forgot he told me he played varsity. Shit.
"Omgg. We get to see Chres play." Monae whispered. She jumped up and down. I rolled my eyes as I put my hair in a bun.
"Whatever. Let's just play."

-

For the first half of the game Romeo didn't play. The girls of course, are up by 15 points. Score is 20-35.
"August ! Get in there." I heard the boys coach say. He got up and took his shirt off and put his jersey on. He jogged and stood in front of me. We had to check the ball. I didn't look him in the eye. Coach blew the whistle and threw the ball up. He jumped but, I jumped higher and smacked the ball towards my team's side.

How you think this game about to turn out??? Lol keep reading. Tell people !!