Prologue

She looked to her partner. It was the tournament of their junior year in high school. A small smile played on her lips, not showing her bright white smile, but enough for it to be recognizable that she was excited. Her small stature standing next to him made her feel small, but she didn't mind. She knew that it wasn't size that mattered, but the strength of their abilities. They had been partners since freshman year and every consecutive year since then. For three years they worked together. There had been numerous incidents between the two of them. Mostly coming from her male partner. Although, there were times when she would go to far and he would be severely injured. Not only did they not get along well together, but their abilities also didn't exactly sync either.

They gave each other one final look before stepping into the ring. She still had a small smile on her face, they were going into the semifinals, so of course she was excited. Although, her partner had a completely different plan from the one they had discussed before the match. He didn't plan on winning this one.

Their plan had been for her male partner to use his Cube ability to trap both of their opponents, then she was to fill their confined spaces with so much electrical current that they would have to tap out. Zack, her male partner, Cube's ability was making invisible walls. Anyone caught inside of his field couldn't get out unless they were strong enough to break it down by force or until he decided to release his magic. There weren't many combo moves that the two of them could perform besides this one. Most of the time in any of their other matches they would treat it like a one v. one, cutting off their partner from helping one another. Although, this also meant they couldn't help each other either. When Zack wasn't strong enough to defeat his own opponent, this would result in her having to finish the match on her own.

Her small frame stepped up into the ring. The roar of the crowd was almost deafening to her ears. The small tap from her specially designed shoes hitting against the padded arena floor couldn't be heard. The fighting stage couldn't have been more than fifty square feet. It was laid out different compared to the previous arena. It was still surrounded by plexiglass so that any of the misfired shots wouldn't go into the audience. The rope that was wrapped around the arena was still there but only one rope was now instead of three. She figured they didn't want the competitors to use them to chock each other like it had been in the match before theirs. With the smaller amount of space, she knew it would be difficult to move around in. Even with her abilities and small body, but that also meant their opponents would have a hard time adjusting to the space as well. So, she knew they at least had a good chance of winning.

Zack followed into the arena after her, only a few steps behind. He wasn't much taller than his female partner. Maybe a foot or so. With a sigh he looked around the arena until his eyes landed back on her. He never liked being paired with her form the very beginning. He was always trying to get her replaced with someone new. That had been more difficult that he had anticipated. Anyone he had go up against her always ended up losing. Here he was, three years later, still partnered with the "princess". Although now he wasn't concerned because he knew after this match that she would never be anyone's partner again. No one would have to deal with her "know-it-all" attitude. As he walked further into the ring a sinister grin began to grow on his face. His plan was being set into motion, finally.