Chapter 1

Lelia

The slowly increasing beeping coming from my wooden nightstand caused me to turn over with my arm outstretched to turn off the monstrous machine that was disturbing my sleep. I never enjoyed having to wake up, I enjoyed my sleep, I mean who doesn't? The sun was shining dimly through the black out curtains I had covering the window. I reached up with my other hand to rub my sleepy eyes. My purple silk blanket still covering most of my body. Today was more special than most though because today I am finally able to return to school. Public school that is. I spent my last year of high school homeschooling myself so I wouldn't fall being in my studies.

I rose slowly from my soft, comfortable, bed and swung my legs over the edge. From the corner of my eye, I could see my two suitcases packed and ready to go. Sure, the last year had been difficult, but I wanted nothing more than to load those suitcases and be off to college. Raising my arms, I began to stretch, my back making a popping noise from the muscles and spine being stretched. It had always popped since the incident, but the doctors had told me that it was normal due to the extent of my injuries that I had and would most likely pop for the rest of my life. So, I didn't bother with worrying.

Using my arm strength, I propelled myself out of the bed slowly. Without even looking I could tell my long brunette hair was a frizzled mess. Most likely caused by tossing and turning last night. With a yawn I walked over to my dresser that had a vanity mirror attached to it and stared at my reflection. I never really myself to be beautiful, more like an average pretty, the only thing that made me stick out were my purple eyes. They tended to stand out now against my pale skin.

As always, my silver cross earring hung from my left earlobe. I never took it off, not even to sleep. The hospital had assigned it to me after the last tournament I participated in. Which was back in high school. The memory of my parents telling me to never take it off unless I absolutely had to briefly played in my mind. The stories they told me about how my ability had gone haywire when I fell unconscious made me anxious anytime I even considered taking it off. According to Mom multiple electrical grids had blown that night on the way to the hospital.

With a slight shake of my head, I pushed all those thought to the back of my mind. Recalling them was painful and often caused the pain in my back to flare up. Looking into the mirror I picked up my hairbrush and began to do the same mundane ritual that I had practiced for the past year. Brush my hair, then to the bathroom to brush my teeth, back to the dresser to look through multiple outfits until I inevitably choose the same style I wore every other day of my life. A white tank top, black leggings, a black and purple jacket, and my specially designed black shoes. Then it was back to the vanity mirror to put my hair up into my signature side ponytail that went to the right. It was only the top half of my hair that went into it, so the rest usually hung down my back. 'Today is different though' I told myself. Once again reminding myself that I was leaving this tiny house behind and heading off to college.

Finishing my routine quickly, feeling very excited to get going, I grabbed my two suitcases and purse and went straight to the front door. There was no one else in the home to see me off for my momentous day, not that there was ever anyone else here in the first place. My parents were always too busy with work to be concerned with what I was doing. As long as I didn't cause big trouble, I never saw them. Walking down the steps I slowed my pace slightly to look at the walls. A little bit of a smile coming to my face. For the last year this small abode had been my home and I would always remember it. Although, I prayed I would never have to see it again, at least not for the reasons I came here in the first place.

Lugging the suitcases out the front door I grunted slightly from their weight. The sun was especially bright today so I had to squint my eyes until they adjusted to the harsh light. The yellow taxicab was sitting there at the curb just waiting to whisk me away to college, but I was feeling sentimental and just had to look back at the little humble home. Digging my keys out of my purse I locked the door to the house and made a mental note to send them back to Father. He had been kind enough to allow me to stay here for free while I was recovering.