{Chapter 11} Nurse

School was the last place I wanted to be. After my encounter with Clay, two days ago, I've been doing nothing but stress for this day.

Fuck it.

I was greeted by a smiling Karl and tired Nick at the entrance. The three of us walked through the halls until we had to part for our classes.

So far the day was going okay. I hadn't seen Clay or his friends which might be a good thing.

Next thing I knew, it was lunch and I was sitting in the cafeteria with Nick and Karl. We discussed minecraft mods and video ideas if we started a channel.

_____________

I roamed the halls peacefully while skipping my 6th period. It was math and we were learning Algebra. I figured algebra wouldn't do me much in life so I always skipped.

My peaceful afternoon was ruined by a hand grabbing my arm and pulling me through the hallway. Clay was practically dragging me across the room.

He took me outside the school and tossed me on a bench.

"Now that you're here. Let's talk," he said to me, sternly.

"What's there to talk about," I said avoiding eye contact.

He was silent. I guess he didn't think it out this far. But that's not surprising for his tiny brain.

"Look. I'll start off by saying, I don't know why I did what I did. I wasn't in the right mind," he eventually said.

"Damn right! Why would you, of all people, do that?"

He went silent again. Honestly I was getting tired of these useless little chats and like any person, wanted to flee the scene.

"I'm gonna let you off but-"

"Clay!" yelled someone cutting him off.

Great, more of these neanderthals. His group approached us with nasty smirks on their faces.

"Are you beating the gay out of him?" one of them said as the rest laughed.

"You know it. But there's plenty left for all of you," he grinned.

"How are you doing George? It's been a while hasn't it?" one said while grabbing my hair and pulling my head up.

I received a punch to the face and the beating began. All of them were pounding at me that I couldn't keep track of every blow. My vision became blurry and soon, everything went black.

______________

All I felt was pain when I woke up. Someone was shaking my arm and shrieking, "George!? George get up! Oh god don't fucking die on me!"

Unexpectedly, it was Clay. He was gonna pull my arm off if he kept shaking it like that. Not to mention that it was insanely sore along with my whole body.

"Fuck you scared me," he said sitting back.

Everything hurt, especially my head. I grunted as I sat up. Now I really felt the pain from every spot on my body.

"What the fuck is going on?" I said, adjusting to the light.

"You passed out and I had to make sure you weren't dead."

"Uhh- Where are your friends?"

"Who knows? But I'll get you to the nurses," he said standing up.

He put an arm around me and helped me up. My legs gave out from time to time as we made our way to the nurses office.

"Nurse Wilson! Help me with him please!" yelled Clay as we entered the office.

"What happened to him?" she said, taking me from Clay.

"Um- well he.. fell down the stairs."

"Mr. Adams(Clays last name), just because I'm old doesn't mean I'm stupid. These clearly aren't bruises from falling down the stairs."

"Just help him! Please."

She sighed and said, "I'm getting really tired of these excuses. Falling in the rose bushes, tripping, falling down the stairs, running into a wall. You need to take care of yourself George."

She was clearly worried for me. Now I was really starting to feel bad. But the thing I really had in mind was Clay helping me. It was confusing, that's for sure.

Not only did he help me, but there was a look of worry on his face. His eyes had regret and fear in them. I felt puzzled by all this.

I should be used to these weird situations at this point but I can't wrap my head around it. It's like Clay's a whole different person with and without his friends.

After a few minutes, the nurse finally finished treating my wounds. She sent us off but called Clay in her office before we left.

"Wait outside George. I need to talk to your friend."

With that she closed the door behind them and I was left standing in the hallway. They came outside in about a minute and Clay helped bring me back to the bench from before.

Luckily my bag that I left wasn't stolen. I brought my stuff together and was ready to go in the building.

I looked up at Clay who was standing by the bench. He caught me staring and said, "Don't think anything of this. I'm just helping you this one time."

That seemed about right. I got my stuff and fled into the building.