Chapter 12

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is a short chapter, but I'M BACK FINALLY. THANK YOU FOR BEING PATIENT AND STICKING AROUND. I'M OUT OF MY WRITER'S BLOCK FINALLY!!!

Reed watched as several Fatui agents retired their duties at the Northland Bank and began heading to the opera. The streets of Liyue were quiet since most families were attending the event, but those that were still out and about were drunkards that held a before-party prior to heading to the opera.  Despite the number of agents that left the bank, more seemed to replace their absence to make up for tight security. The tension they felt sat heavily in the air, and even she could feel it from where she knelt across the rooftops. They all appeared to anticipate that something was going to go wrong tonight.

They were right to think that. 

The clink clack of her shoes hitting the aged shingles beneath her were muffled so only she'd hear them. Then, they ceased to exist once she landed on antique building across from the bank. Her black hood melted into the darkening night sky, and the devilish crimson of one of her previous prizes--a Fatui Mask--glinted in the little light that reached her face from the streets below. 

Eyeing the new patrol in front of the bank's entrance, she hesitated to act when Charlie approached them with a simple nod before walking in. He was easy to tell apart from the others because of his gray tail and ears, but...What was he doing here? It was a dumb question considering he's a Fatuus, but whatever. 

Her father, the "Master," had hinted at some sort of distraction, but he refused to "ruin the surprise." Reed was about to give into her impatience and act on her own when a distant explosion and distraught shouting caught her attention. Head whipping in the direction of the commotion, she could make out faint traces of electro energy. That must've been the distraction.

But the more she stared into the distance and listened to the horrific screams of Liyuean citizens, she questioned whether she should abandon her mission and help them.  More explosions followed the first, and the screams continued. She would've ignored them entirely if they were just from fear, but they were gut-wrenching as if they were from injured people. Just what was that distraction? Did something go wrong and innocent people got hurt? Surely her father wouldn't be so careless to make a mistake, or heartless to involve the innocent. Something akin to uncertainty wriggled in her stomach.

Reed furrowed her brows and glanced down at the Fatui agents that were manned outside the bank. They were just as taken aback as she was, one of them even taking a step or two forwards in contemplation of abandoning his post to figure out what was going on. "Tsk." If she were to leave now, they might not be as distracted for this to work again. She got herself together and leaped towards the balcony, landing directly behind them. 

They didn't know what hit them. But, if you really must know, it was a quick kick to both their heads that took them out. 

When Reed burst through the front doors, the Fatui were already in disarray and hardly noticed her presence.  She thought she might stand out with her black hood, but they didn't so much as look in her direction.

"The city is under attack! Something's happened at the opera!"

"Hurry up and get your men, Charlie! We'll meet you there-!"

"-Damn, this had to happen while Childe's away?!"

Many Fatui sprinted past Reed and out the doors, but her eyes landed on Charlie. He half-frantically looked around and shouted orders at his subordinates, but he himself was less than concerned with the ongoing crisis. The second his men turned away, he held no emotion. That was, until he and Reed locked eyes. He nodded in acknowledgment, then gestured for her to keep moving.