└─ 001. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄

🎵: LOOK AFTER YOU — the fray 

━━━━━━━━━━━

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐇 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 Lady Rhea was to give birth, Daemon returned to King's Landing.

It was his brothers' wedding after all.

At least, that's what he insisted with a smile as he arrived, uninvited, and congratulated his brother with a small bow. Though not pleased at the sight of his younger brother, and even highly suspicious, King Viserys did not turn him away and even offered him a cup of wine.

To the new Queen, Alicent Hightower, who admittedly looked sad yet beautiful in her white gown, Daemon gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"I wish you more luck with bearing his children, your Grace," Daemon whispered. "It would be a shame if my brother had to make the same choice with you as he did his late wife."

Daemon would be lying if he wasn't a little pleased at the sight of Alicent Hightower faltering, even more so when he pulled back and caught a glimpse of Rhaenyra smiling down at her plate, having clearly overhead. When their eyes met, Rhaenyra quickly mumbled an excuse before leaving the table.

Daemon looked temptingly at the archway that led out of the hall, before deciding to spare his niece a few minutes and following after her behind a pillar.

"Rhaenyra," Daemon said. It had only been a year since they last saw each other, but she had grown plenty. When he spoke to her, he did so in their mother tongue, High Valyrian. "I don't suppose you'll accept my congratulations to getting a new step mother, will you?"

Rhaenyra glared up at him. "I'd only be most offended if you do, uncle. Why are you really here?"

"What else could be more important than my own brother's wedding?"

"Your lady wife is not here."

"She's busy."

"With carrying your heir?"

Daemon smiled coyly down at his niece. He glanced around to check that they wouldn't be overheard before grabbing her arm and tugging her closer. Rhaenyra was forced to crane her neck back just to meet his eyes.

"Heirs, actually," Daemon corrected. Though he hadn't explicitly instructed the servants to hold their tongues about the twins, it had gone without saying after he severed the tongue of the first servant who did whisper it to another. "How did you know?"

"Rumours, uncle. But I suppose congratulations are in order. It seems you have finally grown to care enough for your lady wife to put not one, but two babes in her."