└─ 003. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐊

━━━━━━━━━━━

Daemon only kept the children in Runestone for a year.

Once they no longer needed Rhea, Daemon flew them to Dragnostone where they stayed for the next few years. Though technically it was Rhaenyra's castle as she was named Heir, neither she or Viserys gave much protest. Rhaenyra was even found to be visiting often on Syrax's back, as she found the twins much more enjoyable to be around than her half-siblings.

In those years, Daemon flew often between Dragonstone and the Stepstones. Though he was always only ever gentle with his children, he didn't hide the side of the fearsome Roguish Prince from them either. The twins got used to seeing their father return drenched in red, blood still dripping with blood, but always greeted him with a tight hug and a kiss on the cheek nonetheless.

But the time eventually came when Daemon had to remain in the war longer than he had before. As it was Lord Corlys who was dragging him away from his children, Daemon only thought it fair that his children be sent to Driftmark for protection under the eye of his cousin, the Queen Who Never Was, Princess Rhaenys.

And so a few months passed with the children staying at Driftmark, during which they grew considerably close with their older cousins, Laena and Laenor Velaryon. Laena, especially, became well liked by the twins, for they never had an older woman in their life who cared for them or taught them the proper ways of a highborn lord and lady. Laena taught Aera the few and simply ways a woman could balance independence and duty, while she gave Aerys the gentleness and caring nature that not having a mother had cost him.

When Daemon finally returned to them on dragon back immediately after his victory, it was not with the triumphant smile of a victor, but the intense worry of a father who had a son who had been hot to the touch for over a week. Aera had written to him, her writing a scribbled mess and hard to read, but Daemon had gotten the message anyway. He was needed home.

The war ended quickly after that, and when Daemon arrived at Driftmark, he was still bloody and in his armour. But he had barged into his son's room anyway where Laena and Aera stayed by Aerys' bed, and after nearly pommeling to death a maester who made the mistake of saying there was nothing that could be done but wait, Daemon stayed by Aerys' side, Aera seated on his knee, and waited for the fever to break.

The fever broke three days after. He stayed another few days, feeding Aerys himself, and only when he was reassured that he would be fine, did he fly to King's Landing alone to surrender his crown.

"I hear Aerys is sick," Rhaenyra said to him in the gardens.

"He's fine now," Daemon said, allowing himself to relax slightly for the first time since his return home.