└─ 002. 𝐈𝐂𝐄𝐅𝐘𝐑𝐄

🎵: START A WAR - klergy

━━━━━━━━━━━

On the first night of Aera and Aerys' lives, Daemon placed a dragon egg in each of their cradles in hopes that they would bond with a dragon just as past Targaryens have.

For his daughter, Daemon gave her the egg with white scales and pale blue flecks throughout which resembled frost, making the egg appear as if it had been frozen in a lake.

For his son, he gave him the egg that resembled a dark purple amethyst. Green streaks stemmed from the bottom to the top, resembling little green flames.

Both eggs were laid by Meraxes, the dragon Rhaenys Targaryen rod during Aegon's Conquest. They were the only eggs she ever laid, for she died in battle just a few days after. In the century that had passed since, the eggs never hatched, and had long been thought to have fossilized with age.

Dameon thought otherwise. A dragon as great as Meraxes, who helped bring to heel the Seven Kingdoms to the Targaryen's, wouldn't lay eggs only to be defeated by time. They were simply waiting for the right riders.

And he was right. Only two nights after, when Aera had been turning in her sleep, whimpering to herself to not wake her brother, Meraxes' white egg hatched. A small dragon broke free, with scales as shiny and white as fresh snow under the sun, and a light blue belly, similar to the surface of a frozen lake. The dragon's wings were quite long compared to how small the dragon's body was, and the membranes were a pale, sheer silver, like the moon.

Aera stopped whimpering long enough at the sight of the new creature she shared a cradle with. The little dragon, with deep golden eyes, looked at Aera curiously before laying down beside her and extending a wing over the baby like a blanket.

That was how Daemon found his daughter and her dragon in the morning. As he allowed Rhea to nurse the children, Daemon looked at the dragon with childlike wonder. Though freshly hatched, when the dragon coughed, a spit of blue fire came out. Blowing on the fire wasn't enough to extinguish it, and ice cold water had to be dumped quickly before the fire spread.

Daemon laughed all the while.

"Very good," he whispered, petting the dragon's head. "You'll do very good for her."

His smile faltered when he looked over at Aerys' cradle. His egg remained cold and hard and unbroken. Aerys had bumped into it in his sleep, resulting in the egg rolling onto its side and on the opposite side of his cradle. Daemon hoped that the egg just needed more time, or needed to be placed in a hotter pyre.

But Aerys' dragon egg never hatched.

━━━━━━━━━━━