Five

"So, I decided what we are going to do today," Dan said from behind me, startling me. It was the end of the day finally, and I completely forgot that we were planning to hang out until he said that.

"What?" I asked, turning around to face him.

"Your gonna come to my house and play some video games with me." He said, beaming brightly.

I smiled. "Sounds great!"

We walked to his house, which was a little farther from the school than my house was, but I didn't mind. When we finally got there, I was pretty tired but excited to play whatever games Dan had. I loved video games, but I never got to play them because we didn't have any game stations.

"Well, this is mi casa." He said awkwardly.

It was around the size of Tyler's house, big and brown with white shutters. The front yard had a small path leading to the front door, lined with beautiful red and blue flowers.

"The path is so pretty," I observed, and Dan nodded, smiling at me.

"Yeah, my mom loves gardening."

We walked up the path to the front door, and walked in.

"I don't think anyone is here, but I'm sure they'll be home soon," Dan said, kicking off his shoes by the door and walking inside. I took off my shoes and placed them by his, and followed.

He took me straight up the stairs into his room, which was covered in Muse and anime posters.

The room was bright, since both of the windows were wide open, bringing in sunlight, but all the furniture was black. The dresser, the night stand, the bed was all black. The walls were a midnight blue, that kind of reminded me of Ty's eyes.

I've got to stop comparing things to his eyes, it's not like they're that great anyways.

"So um yeah. This is my room," Dan said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. He sat down on the bed, then motioned for me to sit down across from him. I complied, still looking around at the large room.

"It's nice, I like it. I didn't know you were into anime."

"Oh yeah, I love anime. Do you watch it?"

"Not really, unless The Legend Of Korra counts," I joked.

He laughed, but didn't respond. We sat in silence for a couple of seconds before he said, "so why did you get so upset at lunch today?"

I knew this question was coming, yet I was still surprised when he asked.

"I guess I just understand him, you know?" I said, not meeting his eyes.

"What do you mean?"

I sighed, then continued, "well, at my old school, I was the kid people talked about. I was basically the only openly gay person there, so people spread rumors about me, calling me weird and different."

I finally met Dan's eyes, which were full of sadness and guilt.

"So yeah, I guess I just relate to Tyler's situation. And he's not crazy, I promise. He's really cool, I think you'd like him."

Dan smiled sadly at me, before saying, "I'm gay too."

This shocked me. I guess I should have known this, with how flirty he was toward me, but I guess I just took it as friendliness. I smiled at him warmly, taking his hand in mine in a comforting manner.

"You and Phil are the only ones who know. And I know people will accept me, but I'm still scared, you know?"

I nodded fervently. "Yes, trust me, it was hard for me to come out, but when I finally did, I felt so much better."