fourteen

Ashton:

After the girls got over their fit of laughter, Amanda walked over to the office and got behind her desk. Tracy and new girl went off to the locker rooms and lastly my girl, Cynthia, walked towards us.

"Good morning." I smiled down to her but she was staring at something behind me.

"Good morning Ashton and others."
I turned to see her reach in the mini fridge and grab out a water.

"Mandi how long do you think it'll take for them to confess their love to each other?"

"I'd say they are making out right now in the lockers."

I assume they are talking about Tracy and the other girl.

"Rayleigh has told Trace how much she likes her but poor Trace is nervous about her family's opinion." Amanda says.

I guess Rayleigh is the other girl they were hanging out with.

"I know, I'm not sure how they would react. So, do you boys need something or do you want to hear some more drama?" Cynthia asks.

"Oooh tea! Okay so I totally saw Bridget go into the janitors closet with Ryland..." I see Cynthia roll her eyes at Amanda.

The boys and I sign the sheet before turning to the office where the team meets with our Coach and others. Speaking of them,

"Is coach already here?"

She looks down at her phone, opens an app which looks like some surveillance cameras, "Him and the newbies are in the room already, they came through the back a few minutes ago."

"Damn okay, are you coming?"

"I'll stop by in a minute, I have to help Mandi with something."

"Okay, let's go guys."

In the conference room there is a group of 6 guys and Coach Maurice. So there are 6 newbies.

"Ah finally! Boys this is the captain of the Elysian's. Ashton"

They individually come up to me and shake my hand along Hunter's and Reed's.

"Nice to meet you Ashton."

"Good to see you."

The last guy comes over and throws his arm around my shoulder.

"Can't wait to work with you Ash!" I freeze and I see Hunter staring wide eyed at him. The only
person that ever called me 'Ash' was my little brother before he died and since then I don't let anyone call me that.

"Don't call me Ash."

"Oh you're not one for nicknames? I think Ash is fitting!"

"Call me that again and see what happens douche."

"Okay enough, all of you sit down." Coach says.
"Where is Cynthia? I wanted her here to meet the new guys."

Hunter speaks up, "She's helping her friend but said she'd be here in a moment."

"Good, good. Okay so I know I didn't make it clear today what was gonna go on but I do want to have some practice and drills today to see how the new guys work together with you all."

We all nod.

"First I want to explain positions...."

Maurice goes on to explain who is who and who does what for what seems like several hours.

"Hayes is our backup goa-"

Cynthia walks through the doors and all eyes are on her. She changed into her skates, no longer in her socks. Her hair is still in her braids. Except her smile is gone. Replaced by a blank stare and straight face.

"Cynthia come sit, I was just explaining roles!" Coach's eyes scan the table and notices there are no seats left.
"Hm I thought we had enough chairs for you."

"I'll get up."
"She can have my seat."
"Sit with me."
The guys chirp up.

She comes along to my side and sits on the arm of my chair. I rest my hand along her back to make sure she is stable and comfortable.

All the guys are staring at her but once they see my hand on her back, they all turn back. Except Hayes. That prick had his arm over her the other night.

"As I was saying, Hayes is our backup goalie. And now Cynthia here, she's our medical captain. Any injuries you receive she'll treat you or if you think you're hurt let her know."

"You know what Cynthia, my throat is kinda hurting maybe you should check it out." One of the new guys, Max says.

"Yeah yeah me too." The douche, Alec, who kept calling me Ash says.

"If that's true, it's best you both keep your mouths shut. That tends to help."

That shuts them up and a smile invades my face. That's my girl.