Epilogue: The Changing World We Made

(3rd Person's POV)

In Towa City, a young man was walking, carrying a familiar green-haired girl on his back. Monaca slowly opened her eyes and looked forward to see an equally-familiar wavy pale white hair.

"Mmm..." Monaca moaned.

"Oh? You're awake?" The Servant turned her head back to her. "You were lucky. You would surely have perished if I wasn't there to save you."

" ...Why?" Monaca weakly asked.

"I changed my mind and decided to stay in this town a while longer." The Servant responded. "And while I'm here, I figured I should see this through to the very end."

Monaca pouted. " ...That's not what I meant."

"Oh, you mean why I saved you? Because... I'm the same as you. I'm disappointed with endings that waver between despair and hope. I wish a real war had started. If it did, I know a brilliant hope would have been born. That is why I allowed myself to be captured, after all."

"So you did it... on purpose?"

"But... you weren't finished yet, right? Nothing has really changed since you began. So... I need you to continue working hard. So that a splendid hope may be born. You have tasted the bitter despair of having your meticulous plan fall apart around you, so I know you can do it."

"Really... which side are you on?"

The Servant chuckled. "Does it even matter? Anyway... why don't you be the Successor for now? If that is your intention, I will lend you a hand. If... my schedule allows it, of course. There is somewhere I need to be later."

"What do you mean?" Monaca tilted her head.

"I shall raise you to be her copy. One even more realistic than the real one..." The Servant made a soft smile as his eyes briefly darkened before returning to normal. "Someone like me, who both hates and loves her more than anyone else... I should be able to make you more like her than even she herself was!"

"...Gross." Monaca sighed as she closed her eyes. The Servant would continue carrying her to their unknown destination.

---

Meanwhile...

A laptop opened as a green light fizzled on to reveal a familiar brunette young man. "...I was waiting to hear from you. I'm so relieved... I'm glad you're safe, Byakuya."

"...Well, safe enough I suppose." Byakuya responded with a half-hearted shrug.

"Are you outside Towa City? You must be if this connection is secure, right?" Makoto assumed.

"Yeah. I used the secret passageway under the shrine." Byakuya explained. "The Captives are safe, thanks to the relative of that idiot we know so well. I'll introduce you to her later. She's much more talented and useful than he is."

"What's your position? I'll send rescue right away." Makoto offered.

"Before you do... There's something you need to know."

"...Huh?"

"Komaru Naegi, Akira Shirayuki, and Toko Fukawa...are not with me."

"Not with you? Why?"

"I'll let her explain."

"Her...?"

"She asked that I send you this message. It might be garbled a bit, but it'll do." Byakuya pulled out a phone as it showed Komaru.

"Um... Can you see me, Makoto? You're surprised that I'm not leaving, right? Sorry for making you worry... There's...a lot I want to say..." Komaru sighed. "But first, let me explain why I'm not there."