[3] Yellow

The morning brings many things. Sunlight, the chirping of birds, the raindrops lingering where they still can, and the impact of the hard wood floor to your cheek. You groan and roll over and stared up at your ceiling patting your hand on your nightstand until you found your phone.

From: Mikoshiba Mikito
Subject: Yo! (。・v・)シ
Goodnight!

"I think I can get to school early today," you smiled to yourself.

~*~

Today, the same as yesterday, walking hand in hand back home. He was less stiff today which caused you to smile like an idiot the whole way. Still, there was no conversation. Just the occasional shared glances that lasted up to 10 seconds before one of you would turn away, much to the other's chagrin.

"You seem happy today," Mikoshiba says casually, applauding his ability to start smooth conversation. Still, he doesn't make eye contact and instead focuses his eyes on the sun setting in the sky.

"I am," you reply.

"Tell me something about yourself," He requested.

You stared at him for a while until his face turned at least 5 shades of pink.

"I-I'm sorry! I didn't me-"

"I like udon," you chuckled at his reaction, "with extra pork and no onion."

You waited until he returned to normal and made eye contact.

"Would you like me to continue?" you asked.

He nodded sheepishly.

"I only drink black tea with milk and sugar, it's pretty childish right?" you waited eagerly for a response.

He shook his head. "I don't like bitter things, and I can't eat spicy foods that well,"

"What else is there?..." you mused.

As the seconds ticked on the distance between you and Mikoshiba became shorter, the grasp around your fingers became tighter, and the random facts he knew about you increased. Eventually, the conversation comes to a stop and a comfortable silence settles in. Again, an unfamiliar feeling spreads through your body. Bliss, hesitation, and something in between. Like nothing could get in the way of you and your happiness. Like a cheesy shoujo manga.

The thought had made you laugh internally.

"Ah, this is where we separate." you spoke softly as the two of you came across the intersection.

A look of gloom spreads through his face until he quickly conceals it with his well-practiced smile.

"Don't miss me too much!" he announces proudly. In about a matter of seconds he was turned away, hunched over, and sobbing.

"Let's do this again tomorrow, alright? You can tell me all about your favorite foods and bands," you placed a hand on his shoulder. You saw his smile under his red bangs and took it as a "yes".