Chapter Ten

"To love and to be loved is like feeling the sun from both sides."

Jay greeted me at the door as I stepped inside Aunt Dawn's house

Jay greeted me at the door as I stepped inside Aunt Dawn's house. We both exchanged handshakes and walked down the familiar halls, bickering as usual.

"Is the guest here?" I asked, stopping for a drink of water in the kitchen before heading outside where I could hear peals of laughter. Jay nodded and leaned against the slab of granite with an impish grin. 

"Yeah and I think you'd make a great couple." 

I nearly choked on the water I had swallowed and sent a shove towards Jay, who was laughing. "Idiot, it hasn't even been five minutes since I entered."

I rolled my eyes as he placed his hands up, expressing how priceless my reaction was. It wasn't that I didn't do relationships, I just never found the need to. I had a goal and ambition to achieve, no distractions allowed. 

I'd go for a few dates here and there but that was it; there was no spark. No curiosity and it bored me endlessly if there was nothing new. No ambition, no challenge I had to work my way towards caused me to become restless.

Unbidden, Alyssa came to my mind. Her full doe eyes and bright sparkling lips when she laughed. Her glasses that made her look stunning and intellectual.

That mystery of a woman who loomed at the corners of my mind like a listless phantom that had captivated my attention so easily. 

"No, but seriously, she's very pretty and modest. Imagine raising a child all alone." Jay shook his head and a genuinely saddened expression crossed his face. 

"Sashal never talks about how it felt to be alone for those years I needed to go away for college but I know she hated them. For anyone to experience parenting at a young age and be expected to be perfect when they are supposed to be learning, all alone… " He trailed off, shaking his head and trying to wave the dark atmosphere away. 

"Anyways there's one sandwich left. If you hurry you could get it."

I groaned and placed the glass back and followed the trail of lights that led to the pergola that was suffused with light and plenty of chatter. I looked at the play area where there was Lila, Archer and another kid I didn't recognize from a distance. I squinted at her, frowning. 

She did seem a little familiar.

Before I could make out who it really was, we had reached the pergola where Auriana engulfed me in a warm embrace. I had been here before lunch hour but Auriana and Damian had arrived after I left.

 It had been nearly a year since I saw these two. Suffice to say, I had missed my cousin. 

“Elijah! Gosh, you look exactly the same!” Auraina said as she leaned back with a beatific smile on her face. I grinned at my cousin's face and patted her shoulder,