Chapter 6

“So, we have three hours before we have to be at the airport. Is there anything you want to do while we’re here in New York?” Shia asked as we left the studio.

I smiled at the proposition. “Carmine’s.” I said definitively. “Actually give it an hour; I’m going to call someone.”

I loved being vague with Shia. She got so frustrated by it. She hadn’t quite figured out, despite how much she asked, that I wasn’t going to tell her who I called until they answered.

“Who are you calling?” Shia asked with a hint of desperation. I smiled at her expense as I waited for someone to pick up.

“Hello?”

“Bri!” I practically screamed through the phone. “Where are you and what are you doing?”

“I’m in New York, around Central Park. I just off of a modeling shoot. Why?”

“Perfect. I’m in Times Square Right now. How fast can you get 200 West 44th Street?”

“Um, walking? About twenty-five minutes.”

“Sweet! I’ll see you inside?”

“Yeah, sure!”

“Cool, see you there!” I hung up. Bri was easily one of the most flexible, chill people I knew.

“Bri....” I could see Shia going through her internal Rolodex trying to find Bri’s name.

“Bri Venenga. My best friend from high school.”

“The cute black one who sings and wears the fun jewelry?”

I laughed. “No, that’s Breshena. Bri’s the one in college who model’s on the side.”

Shia still looked confused.

“Tall, gorgeous, hipster.”

“Oh! The one whose boyfriend is in that indie band!”

“Yeah!” It was amazing how many of my highschool friends had careers in show business now. I guess that’s what happens when you go to a visual and performing arts high school.

We waited downstairs at Carmine’s for Bri to arrive. I noticed two sets of eyes watching me. A pair of eight-year-old girls whispered to themselves from across the waiting area while looking at me. Both had long, curled brown hair, but one was in the pink dress while the other sported a purple blouse and slacks. The one in pink pushed the other off the bench and towards me

“Um, excuse me,” she said with a very timid voice. “Are you Madeline Potter?”

I smiled, excited to be recognized. “Yeah!” The little girl waved over to her friend, who jumped off the bench to join us.

“Hi, I’m Clara!” said the one in the purple blouse.

“I’m Katy!” said the other.

“Will you take a picture with us?” asked Clara excitedly.

“Yeah, sure!” I obliged. Clara opened up her small silver purse and pulled out an iPhone. She opened it to the camera and handed it to Shia. I put my arms around each girl’s shoulders as Shia said to smile. She took three photos before handing Clara back her phone.

“Thank you!” Clara said, flipping through the photos.

“I wish one day, I’d be as pretty as you!” Katy said shyly.

“What are you talking about? You’re beautiful now! Both of you!” The little girls’ eyes lit up.

“You think so?” asked Katy. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Bri walk through the door.