Chapter 16- The Moment

(~Dream's POV~)

"What do you mean 'you lost her'?!" Reaper exclaimed. The angered god of death firmly planted his hands onto Gaster's desk once he overheard the news about his sister-by-creation.

"Brother, he probably didn't mean it. Besides, Y/N is perfectly capable of calling to us if she is ever in need." Papyrus interrupted, nervously pulling at the edges of his dark robe. "Y/N doesn't have full control of her magic yet, Pap. I doubt that she actually knows that." The two brothers, current gods of death and Reapertale Gaster's creations, immediately looked downcast whilst they murmured amongst each other.

"My brother captured her. It's been nearly two weeks since then and Cross hasn't shown up to the scheduled meeting point. I fear that something went wrong. There has to be something you can do-" Reapertale Gaster stood from his desk, partially raising a hand. I immediately silenced myself as did the other two.

"Did you or did you not follow my instructions to keep her in the castle?"
.
"We only left the castle for training! Y/N needed to know how to defend herself."
.
"Then why would you choose to put such training sessions along the empire borders?"

I let out a long exhale, turning away from him. "I know I made a mistake." Gaster tiredly rubs his temples. "I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, Dream... You're wasting your time by coming here. We, the gods and goddesses of this world, have already done what you asked for. Any more interference on our part will surely cause complications in the multiverse's balance."

Before I came here, I already had a feeling he would say something like that. Still, it stung my soul to hear it. Gaster continues, "Besides, now you'll have bigger problems to deal with if she's been bonding with your enemy. The spell is still in motion for another month, isn't it?"

'The spell.'

I'd almost completely forgotten about it. My bones suddenly felt cold.

'Y/N couldn't love Nightmare. SHE WOULDN'T-'

"Y-You sAid Y/N knEw shE was bOunD tO mE!" I shout out of desperation. Reapertale Gaster glares straight into my eyes for a moment. I cower slightly. I shouldn't of raised my voice like that.

I found out Gaster is more patient than he looks. He calmly corrects me, "We've discussed over this. The spell I bonded to her soul is not one of those love spells that forces one's feelings to a singular person. I said that she was 'only to be bound to a god'. That narrowed the chances of her falling for any mortal, but your brother is also a god. The speed at which she would bond to someone is also accelerated. For these simple and clear reasons, I specifically told you to keep her inside. She was to be with you alone until the spell's time was over." I stumble back.

'He's right... WHY DIDN'T I SEE IT SOONER?!!!'

All words and breath leave me as the true realization really starts to sink in.

'I messed up. Oh mY sTArs- I mESsEd uP!!!'

Without so much as a goodbye, I rush out the room. I need to go back to my universe.

'Enough waiting! Cross has taken his side. I need to find Y/N and I need to do it now!!!'

(~Nightmare's POV~)

Sparks flew as I hammer down into the red hot steel. Sweat in the form of black tar slips down my face. I forged out the shape with nothing but my anvil, hammer, and the piece of hot metal. Making a knife for Dust is my next task on the list.