𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 5

--

--

"Erm...I'm Yukihira Soma, truth be told, I only think of this academy as a stepping-stone. I got admitted here unexpectedly, but I don't plan to lose to some bunch that has never stood in front of clients. Now that I'm in, I'll take the top."

You would never forget those words. Oh, how each letter, each phrase was embellished with confidence. It wasn't cockiness though. You knew the difference. In fact, it wasn't even that he felt as if he was better than everyone else. It was a strong conviction, one based on knowing his own skills.

The taste of his name was...interesting to say the least. Individually, his first and last name were a delight to the buds. You're glad your condition didn't mix the flavors together. Instead, as soon as a word was heard, it seemed to move on the next matter heard, overlaying it.

Yukihira...yuzu-its tart profile pounded on your tongue. With underscored herbal and floral notes, it was as if a tangy lemon, a bitter grapefruit and sweet orange combined into one.

Soma...soba-you could feel the thin noodles, an earthy flavor, a nutty taste, this flavor weaker than his last name.

The tall doors of the school entrance opened. Students flooded out of the gates, a sea of eagerness; ready to start the next chapter of their culinary dreams.

Soon, people would have to face the end of their fantasy only to find themselves wide awake, sweating, begging to return to the dream in that they wanted a happy ending.

You tipped your flat-top beret, making sure it was on tight as you weaved in out of people. Seeing the gate, you rushed through to stand by close, but out of the way. As of now, ear plugs were in your ear, for the foul tastes outweighed the good.

The once stormy sea was now calm. The last students exited the doors. A sight of bright vermillion caught your eye. The ear plugs once in your ear were now in your pocket. He too saw you and grew curious to why you hadn't exited the school yet.

Amusement turned the corners of your lips as his gaze analyzed you.

It's times like these where I wonder if having psychic powers would be cool.

"Is there someone you're waiting for?"

"Well, to be frank," You sauntered over to him. "I was waiting here for you. What took you so long? Don't tell me you arrive to places fashionably late as well."

With the small grin, the glint of playfulness in your eyes, he wasn't as slow as usual telling the difference between the lines of joking and being serious.

"It's nice to meet ya. Are you mad about my speech as well? Ya know, I was kind of nervous about that speech, but I bit the bullet." With hands stuffed in pockets, his casual demeanor seemed to contradict any anxiety he had.

You both walked out of the gate together, only a few inches apart.

"You saw it as well...the majority of people who haven't stood in front of a client."

"It's more like I heard it," Soma said. A tick mark appeared on his forehead as he thought about his next line of speech. "People just decide the value of a restaurant from its "status".

"Well, Yukihira, I shall not underestimate you."

"Ha, thanks. Well, I gotta go. It was nice meeting you. I hope we can meet again soon."

You slightly smiled. "Same."

...

Sharp glares, squinted eyes, sneers dancing across the lips of many, you were once again reunited with a red head who everyone hated. Would you acknowledge that? No, you were going to simply mind your own business. You didn't have time for this, for now it was school. You only had two goals for this institution. One, perpetuate the vision the old man has for you and two, to not fail your familia.