Wings

A canary sits nearby a window sill awaiting patiently. She hears a knock on the glass and immediately springs up towards the visitor.

"So what is it?" She asks hopefully as her eyes glitter.

"I don't know" Says the sparrow as he sighs. "I just can't seem to decide what I want. Can't we just go with the flow?"

The canary takes a deep breath and asks, "How long do you think we can go with the flow? What makes you so indecisive? It's been a couple of years already." The canary continues to speak with tears in her eyes, "Is it because you don't like me enough, or is it because you are avoiding growing up, or is it because you are scared of being hurt?"

The sparrow replies, "How do I explain... It's none of these... " He looks at her with a face full of confusion. If it wasn't love, he wouldn't be squeezing in time to spend with her. If he was scared of being hurt, he wouldn't be returning to her each time. If he was avoiding growing up, he wouldn't have imagined their future together planning how many babies they would have.

The tiny yellow bird moves closer to the sparrow and sways her wings around him. They stay together in silence for few seconds.

"I know it's scary..." She says as she pats his back gently, "you have been free your whole life, while I have been tied up in this cage. But I assure you, I don't plan on tying you down with me. If at all, I plan on flying with you wherever that you go." She pulls herself back waiting for his answer.

"I... " The sparrow says as he tries to find the right words, "I don't have a place that I belong to, how do you expect to leave your home behind to travel with a nobody like me? That's such a huge responsibi-"

"-Shhh" The canary quickly covers his beak with her wings and looks straight into his eyes as she says, "I don't plan to be your responsibility, I just plan to be your companion for as long as fate shall allow." They look at each other quietly as they continue to remain in each others wings, wishing each moment would last longer. She rests her head on his chest and says, "I only wish to be your home... just as how I see my home in you..."