6 ~ Salt ~ 6

The wind coursed through my hair, tangling the threads with icy tendrils of air.

I clung desperately to the railing, my guts fighting against the rocking of the ship. My stomach felt as if it was tumbling within me, threatening the urge to heave up its contents. Luckily, knowing this would be the effect of travelling by sea, I avoided breakfast this morning.

Sailing the skies I could handle. Targaryen or not, my body was made for flight. But this proved quickly that not a drop of salty, Velaryon blood pulsed in my veins.

Bile shot up my throat once more and I panted against it, groaning gently whilst doubled over the blue waves. This was torturous. Truly torturous.

I tried to pace my breaths, in through the nose out through the mouth, counting between each inhale and exhale, feeling every breath in my lungs. I zoned into the shrieks of sea gulls, the creaking of the grand sails and old wood, trying to desperately bring my mind to anywhere else but in this moment.

I had disassociated too far apparently as I hadn't noticed the presence shadowing me until it spoke.

"Lyra." I screwed my eyes shut tight, willing the voice away, hoping that if I ignored the sound then it would disappear completely.

It did not.

"I brought you this."

Pushing my head hard against the damp wood rail, I wondered, if by using enough force, could I melt into the fabric of the object itself and blink out of existence completely?

Nope, apparently not.

Straightening out my elbows, I pushed out from the barrier, a wave of nausea crashing over me but I managed to swallow it down, taking slow, careful movements so not to summon it upon me again. I was treading a fine line by forcing my guts to remain where they belonged.

I twisted, back pressed to face away from the sea.

Aemond held his arm out, and in his hand was a tea cup, a greenish liquid slopping inside.

He grimaced at the sight of me. I returned the gesture.

He certainly looked the worst out of the both of us even if it was hidden beneath a swath of white bandages. A third of his face was masked and hidden.

I, on the other hand, likely looked like death, if my appearance mimicked the way I felt.

"You look like death."

Brilliant.

"And you look way too energised for a boy who has just lost an eye." I croaked. My head was aching.

Aemond lifted a shoulder, his lips tilting in a half smile, "If an eye was the cost of gaining a dragon then so be it. I have a second."

I nodded and then swiftly regretted it, almost retching over my boots. I prayed the waters of Blackwater Bay would freeze over and I was forced to instead walk home rather than be subjected to this nightmare.

"Here." Aemond pushed the cup into my hands. It was warm to the touch.

I frowned at him, "Is it poison?"

Aemond balked, "What—? No. Of course not."

I lifted a brow, "Are you sure, Princeling? That seemed like a guilty objection." Even still, I couldn't help but jest with him.

He rolled his eye, shaking his head at me, "Just drink it, Lyra. Before I force you to."

"You may own the biggest living dragon, but even so, you couldn't force me to do anything, no matter how hard you tried, Aemond." Despite the energy that had seeped from my body and into the sea, I still managed to muster a gentle smile.