Last Confession (Les Miserables)

Eponine Thenardier ran through the streets. The revolution was starting. Women shut their windows and doors whilst people rushed to the barricades.

With a heavy sigh, Eponine secured the cap on her head, the cap that kept her dark hair unseen.

Earlier that day, Eponine stole men’s clothing, an act she wasn’t proud of. The coat she wore disguised her little figure, making her look like a young boy.

She approached the barricade and started to climb.

 “There’s a boy climbing the barricade!” Courfeyrac raised his voice as he held a hand to the boy.

Eponine took it and settled herself on the other side.

“Thank You Monsieur” she disguised her voice.

Courfeyrac simply nodded and returned to Enjolras’ side.

Her eyes scanned the crowd for any sign of Marius Pontmercy. She spotted him seconds after, on top of some furniture she identified as a staircase.

How she longed for him to notice her, more than a friend but in her heart, she knew that he belonged to someone else, to Cosette.

Her mind went back to the days when her parents owned an inn at Montfermeil. Those were the days when Eponine and her sister Azelma, got the best of everything.

Now, people consider her trash.

The time went by and the night was approaching fast. Weary from lifting, Eponine took a seat, only to find out it was beside her brother, Gavroche. She prayed in her mind that he wouldn’t recognize her, but the heavens were working against her right now.

“ ’Ponine? Is that you?” Gavroche asks beside her.

“Silence Vroche! They’ll surely send me out” Eponine hissed at the younger boy.

“Sorry ‘Ponine” he apologizes.

“You’re here for Monsieur Marius aren’t you?” he asks.

Eponine blushed and nodded her head, confirming what he knew.

“I’ll be with the others” Gavroche tells her before leaving his spot.

Eponine was used to being on her own. It was something she always felt. She rested her chin on her knees and watched the men work and talk. She was a stranger, she didn’t know what to do.

“Mademoiselle Thenardier, you shouldn’t be here” a familiar voice addressed her.

She looked up and stood up.

“Monsieur Enjolras! Forgive me but I beg of you, do not make me leave” Eponine begged him.

Enjolras sighed and sat down next to her spot. She sat back down with him.

“Don’t fret, I won’t. But I am assuming that you are here for Marius?” he asks.

For the second time she blushed and nodded. Enjolras met Eponine’s dark eyes.

“Marius is blind” he mumbled to himself.

Eponine heard him. Everyone saw how she would always follow him around and run errands for him. It was obvious to everyone that she loved him dearly, that is everyone except Marius.

Another thing everyone knew was that Eponine was blind as well.  Enjolras had feelings for the girl. He thought she was a beauty.

She gave him a reason to fight. He loved her deeply yet he said nothing for her heart belonged to another.