8 ~ My Dearest ~ 8

~ 3 Years Later ~

Aemond

Westeros learned quickly of the news.

The Princess Helaena had finally taken her first blood, although tailed with a worrying delay, being of the great age of ten and seven years. It had been a relief to the Queen and King to know their daughter was not as defective as her wits may have portrayed.

With this establishment of her womanhood, a marriage was to follow between herself and her older brother, the Prince Aegon, who many believed would soon stand in line to take his rightful place on the Iron Throne, even if the current holder had not yet announced him as heir.

With a marriage; celebration, the gathering of family and houses would follow and soon the Red Keep would be swarming with those who wished to improve their good graces with the future and current ruler of the kingdoms.

Khaelyra would return.

Beside her new family- Rhaenyra, Daemon, their nephews- she would travel back to congratulate her brother and sister- only in name- on their partnership and union.

It had been three years since the prince and his old friend had shared company. Apparently, the Bastard Khaelyra had no other reason to return to Kings Landing other than the wedding. Not even for a simple visit to the family she grew up beside.

Once Lyra had initially, suddenly departed, Aemond half expected to receive a letter from the girl. One that updated him on her well-being, her happiness and contentment at Dragonstone. Maybe of how sorely she missed him. Maybe of how sorry she was to abandon him so thoughtlessly.

He hoped even harder for an invitation to join her there. A proposal to leave King's Landing in the dust and take flight to live with her at Dragonstone.

He would never tell a soul of this, but deep down, he knew if that invitation had arrived, on any hour of any day, any night, since she had departed, Aemond would have dropped everything and followed Lyra to any place she asked him to.

His anger towards her remained unending, a maze he was lost in with no sign of escape. Yet still, he would run to her with a single word.

But it had been deafening silence on Lyra's end of the sea. And whilst Aemond initially intended to return this ignorance, his vast loneliness became all consuming without Lyra as a companion. Without her company to keep his days exciting.

He had wrote to her on the 73rd day she had been gone. Her thirteenth birthday.

It was a simple message. Brief and extra polite and written upon it was less words than the parchment was likely worth. But Aemond had hoped to rebuild a bridge between them.

No. He hadn't yet owned the opportunity to officially apologise to her, but he thought this would be better done and seem more sincere in person. So he wrote her these simple words:

'My Dearest Khaelyra.
Happy birthday. I count down the days till I see you again. - A. T.'

And for the months to follow he questioned, almost obsessively so: had she even received my letter?

Aemond wrote to her again by the time four months had passed and she remained a wordless ghost across the sea.

'Dearest Khaelyra.
I am writing to you in the hopes that you are well in health and mind and contented in your new home.
I must admit, I miss you terribly but I am comforted in the hopes that perhaps you are finding more joy in the walls of Dragonstone than either of us ever could here, in King's Landing. Write back soon, I hope. I wish for the comfort's of your thoughts.
- Always, Aemond Targaryen.'