7. Suspicions

"Is this some kind of SICK JOKE, MACALLAN? I mean really? A last will and testament?"

Lacy threw the crumpled paper with it's blood covered envelope to the floor.

Macallan 's fists balled up at his sides.

"You know Macallan, this has to be the meanest thing you've ever done to me, and I oughta know because you've pulled a lot of pranks on me through the years!"

"Lacy please, lower your voice," Macallan begged her.

"Oh hell no! Not a chance in hell! First you tell me my dad got killed and then you tell me he isn't dead? Then you give me this piece of blood covered shit and it's a will? Why? Why should I whisper?"

Macallan had enough. "I didn't know it was a will Lacy!" He turned in a huff and started to stalk away from her.

They had come downstairs and into the bar area to talk. Daylight was just beginning to fill the sheer curtained windows of The Brown Jug Pub but daylight wouldn't afford the kindness it once had to anyone here.

Macallan had wanted privacy when he told Lacy about her dad. He expected her to take it hard but he never expected her not to believe a word of it. At this point he had no idea how to handle the situation. Maybe once she had time to think it through. . .

"Oh no you don't," she walked behind him. "You are NOT going to just walk away! You owe me Macallan Crete! My dad was good to you and you are going to take care of me."

Macallan turned around and his face was stiff with anger. "I owe YOU? YOU OWE ME LACY."

"OWE YOU?!" she spat back. "What could I possibly owe you!"

"YES owe me." He bit the words out from clenched teeth. "You owe me some consideration. And to believe in me. My God Lacy I wouldn't, no, I couldn't, make up something like this. And why would I? And Dylan was right there too. What kind of people do you think we are? Your dad was more of a dad to me than my own dad! So no, it's not a sick joke. It's real. It's the truth."

From the edge of his sight he saw James approaching and bit off his heated conversation with Lacy but giving her a hard, shut the fuck up look, before addressing James with a careful gaze wondering if he had overheard their arguing. Apparently he had, and made no effort to hide the fact.

James held up a hand. "Do you think I could talk to y'all real quick in private?"

Macallan sighed. "Look, James, I don't know how much you heard but this is just between me and Lacy."

James put a hand on Macallan's shoulder.

"Believe me, I'm not trying to get in your business but I need to share something with you. And I need to do it while Jonna is occupied. She and Dylan are in the store room grabbing some waters for us."

Macallan shrugged and looked at Lacy but her expression wasn't revealing much. "Okay, James. I guess."

"Come with me," he said walking toward a door which led to a small office beneath the stairwell.

Once inside he shut the door and turned right to Macallan. "Look, I know you noticed my reaction when Jonna hugged me and it was kinda hard not to hear what your girl here was saying,"

"Oh no, hell no. I am NOT his girl." Lacy snorted rudely.

Macallan gave her a disgusted look.

James went on like he hadn't even heard her comment. "It's strange. Jonna's behavior I'm talking about. And her touch Macallan, it's cold as ice. And, now knowing this about Deputy Storey. I've known them both for a long damn time and I'm telling you it doesn't pass the sniff test."