Chapter 3: Tessa

Beth followed Mr. Artair through the marsh that was once a forest.

Dollops of water showered onto them as the rain trapped in the bushy leaves snaked their way to the ground. With drenched shoulders and steadily falling water in their hairs, the group of 5 made their way out of the forest. There had been much grumbling and appeals when the Swords master had awakened from his nap and announced they could leave now that the rain had stopped. He had been right; the rain had stopped shortly before he had opened his eyes.

But that had not stopped their protests at the prospect of wading through the puddles outside. It was far too wet for them to leave, not to mention dark... surely the castle doors would be shut by now. The girl who had offered around steamed buns pointed out that they must already be well into the second quarter of the night and they might as well as wait till the morning to return. Beth silently agreed. The cave could be cozy enough.

But their grumbling stomachs and aching back had won. A promise of supper had them slaving towards the castles gleam which managed to seep into the outer reaches of the forest and painted it platinum. They each lugged their baskets full of herbs, which were bulky despite their light weight. The other two boys in their group brought up the rear with Artair -who continued to find paths with surprising agility- leading them.

Artair's buff arms waved his sword quite literally cutting a path through the forest. They could almost see the gleaming castle when they saw the doors thrown open and a mob rush out towards them. The figures wrapped in cloaks to protect them from the biting chill of the night spread themselves over the forest. One of the figures moved towards them and Artair strode forward to meet him.

"You have everyone from the Herb collection team Artair?" the hooded man asked scanning them. His cloak bore a Mandivoreal seal on it that shone in the place light of the castle.

"Aye, but what happened. The forest should have no emergency right now." Artair's eyes moved erratically, taking in every inch of the forest now even more alert for danger.

"There has been a breach in the enchantments" hooded man announced. "One of the students, a lass from year one has markings of a sprite on her belongings and she's been missing since dusk."

"Who is it?" the taller boy stepped forward and stared at the man. His hands were clenched by his side, he looked ready to bolt back into the woods to rescue whoever it was.

"That's none of your business lad; keep your bravery to yourself. We need to get back to the castle right now." Artair did not wait for them to react. He climbed the slope in front of them. It was the shorted path back to the castle unlike the meandering path they had entered by. He grabbed the boys first before pulling along both the girls by their baskets shoulder straps too.

Still reeling from the abrupt rise in her center of gravity Beth watched the hooded man disappear into the woods.

"Move your feet or do you want me to tow ye to the castle too" Artair's voice rung and Beth hurried to follow the unusually harried Swords master.

"Will they find the girl?" the tall boy asked again.

"They are the rescue team aren't they, they'll do their job. Now move, I'd like some supper tonight."

A shudder travelled down their spines as they shared a glance, a moment of fear and anxiety bound them together. Whatever the hooded man had whispered in Artair's ear could not be anything good. The Swords master had a love for danger and his confidence in his skills meant that a group of students would not have stopped him from seeking out a battle.

With quick steps they moved towards the castle door that creaked open to welcome them.

The castle gates banged shut the little crack it had let them in from and a chaperon smothered them in cloaks and rushed them to change. Supper would be sent to their rooms. Looking back, Artair had already disappeared and with another shared glance debating the untold secrets they parted.

....

By the time Beth finished the thick stew they served for supper Tessa had been found and brought back. The common rooms were stuffed full of students who had caught onto the upheaval like a bunch of fire elves sensing heat. Gossip hungry ears prowled everywhere, and though Tessa was in a different house form Beth, her news still reached her.

A returning prefect under their questioning had spilled that Tessa had been found covered in leeches near the pond on the edge of the deeper side of the woods.

Currently she lay in the infirmary, unconscious from more than just the blood loss and pain of prying out the leeches from her skin. Salt had been avoided as she was already unconscious, but the question of what held her soul captive hung in the air.

Beth's body shivered. She had been there hours, perhaps minutes before whatever had happened. Her blood felt thick in her veins as the images of the cylindrical blood suckers flashed before her. And Tessa... despite her obnoxiousness no one had ever wished any harm on the girl.

Pushing away her tray, she decided she needed to visit the infirmary too.