two.

the accident.

(word count; 2.1k)

trigger warnings; blood, panic attack, emetophobia, general distress, drug mention

it had been a particularly cool february morning the day jake and josh had made the decision to go out to the old trails they used to hike as kids.

there was still snow dusting the ground.

the two had been listening to music, smiling and laughing at their terrible jokes and purposely horrible singing.

they were feeding off one another, as they always do, making the most out of a moment.

just like always.

josh had looked out the window, letting his eyes follow the tree line, then redirected his gaze to the road before them.

jake had his eyes focused on the road the whole time.

how did you miss it?

they crested the hill, the two of them humming along to the song.

he's right there.

a blue mazda comes their direction.

he's going the wrong way.

there's a bottle gripped in the driver's hand, pressed to his lips.

there's a girl in the passenger seat, slapping the driver's arm.

he's going so fast.

stop. stop. STOP.

jake slams his foot on the break.

the car doesn't stop.

the brakes lock up, and the initial impact sends a jolt through the both of them.

then, the car flips. it rolls once, twice.

the windshield smashes, sending glass flying. there's a scream from jake.

blood comes into josh's vision as his brother scrapes his way out of the car, the faint sound of bob seger in the background.

his hands are planted firmly on the ceiling of the vehicle, glass cutting into his palms.

why didn't you get out?

blood drips down the back of his throat.

he can hear jake calling his name. not just calling, screaming.

josh doesn't even realize he's screaming too.

the seatbelt is giving way, so he makes his best attempt to keep one hand planted on the roof as he disconnects the belt.

he tries to crawl out of the vehicle without injuring himself further, but the searing pain in his knee paralyzes him as soon as he's out of the vehicle.

he calls out for jake.

when his brother comes around to him, there's blood covering his hands, staining the snow as it drips off and leaves soft red spots on the white landscape.

it's not just on his hands.

it's everywhere. on his face, his shirt, his pants.

josh pulls himself up from the ground, standing.

he stifles a scream as he limps to his brother.

"are you okay? jake, are you okay?"

there are tears on his twin's face.