Chapter One ~ An Introduction

This is a remake/remastered edition of the book "Life as an Illusionist". You do not have to read it, but to the people that already have - this book is going to be very different than the first one. If you do not like that, you don't have to read this. Thank you. To the rest of you, welcome! Be glad you aren't reading the original; it was...pretty bad. At least, the first parts were. Anyway, I've decided to start anew. I hope you all enjoy this remake, as I have a lot planned! I hope you like this first chapter, which is just an introduction to the two main-main characters. See you guys on the flip side!

~Scarlett~

I walk into my house, setting my bag down on the floor. I run up the stairs, shutting the door to my room. I grab my phone from my pocket, pulling my headphones from my drawer. I plug them in, putting on one of my favorite songs.

(I doubt any of you will know this...)

Once upon a time

Yes, a very long time ago,

Lived a family, noble and old,

Whose children were very close,

And on, and on it goes!

I tapped my foot in beat to the song as I spun around the room, singing along to my favorite parts.

It's in my blood,

You know we're famous

For our

War strength

Right, right, right, right, right

Guess you earned a gold star for 'very good job'!

As I dance along in my room, I pull out a few pieces of paper, pushing my glasses up as they lean precariously on my nose. I pick a few drawing pencils from my cup holder jumping onto my bed, bouncing around to the beat.

I start sketching a drawing of a fox, as I saw one earlier.

I push a strand of my red hair out of my face, my forest green eyes scanning the paper. I replay the song on my phone, as it had ended.

As I continue to draw, my tongue sticks out the side of my mouth, a habit that I had yet to grow out of. Once I had replayed the song a couple of times and sketched in all the details, I got up and grabbed the colored pencils to color in the picture.

I press the pencil harder in certain places, giving the fox a 3D look. After a few more replays and furious erasing sessions, I held up the drawing, smiling proudly at my work.

The fox was standing in a clearing, a few butterflies flying around its head. It was looking over its shoulder, eyes wide as it seemed to stare right at the person.

I pin the picture to my wall of pictures, stepping back to admire my work. I blew another piece of my hair out of my face, pushing up my glasses again.

I turn around, running down the stairs, grabbing my bag and running back up the stairs. I sigh, pulling out my home work.

Let's finish this stuff...

~Hope~

I walk into the diner, Squishy guiding me, tugging the leash in different directions, leading me through the crowds of people.

My sister and Squishy lead me further into the place, and my ears start to hurt.

Is it always this loud?

I try to ignore the extra sound, following the pull of Squishy's leash. I can hear the children's squeals as they see the tiny fox, and a small smile tugs at my lips.