Chapter Two

Chapter Two

   I walk into the hallway. The silence in my house is deafening. Right about now, my mom would have the tv on and be reading. Instead, my mother is still asleep. I have a full house, which is why I don't understand why it could be so quiet.

   That's when I hear it. I hear a small giggle. It sounds like a child, but I'm too exhausted to try to think about who it could be. Then, she comes out from behind the couch on her knees. It is Casi. She is giggling.

"Hi, Casi." I smile.

   She laughs and says, "hello" back. Then it happens. Her eyes turn cloudy, but not as dark as her brothers'. She turns away from me and murmers something. I can't quite make out what she said, but I hear the second thing...they're coming.

"Who is coming?" I ask.

She doesn't respond. Her dark eyes stare at me.

"Who is coming, Casi?" I ask.

   I hear someone running up the stairs. Suddenly, Rowan is in the living room. He pushes me to the side a little and says, "Move.". I stumble to the side. He runs over to Casi. He picks her up, and she says it again, they're coming.

"Leave." He orders.

"No." I say.

"Leave right now, Tara!" He orders.

"It is my house. I have the right to know what is happening.." I start.

"Do as I say, Tara!" He orders again.

   I turn and go stand behind the small wall, so I can hear him, but he can't see me. This whole family is so strange. Why do their eyes change colors. Why do I feel like a talked to Rowan yesterday, but I can't remember what I said?

"Get Kyle. Get your mom." He orders.

I notice how he said, your mom, instead of mom. Why wouldn't he call his mom, mom, instead of saying your mom.

"What is it, Rowan?" Marla asks, her voice full of worry.

"They are coming." Rowan says.

"How do you know?" Marla asks, obviously knowing who, they, are.

"Casi heard them." He says.

Heard?

"How far, Casi?" Kyle asks.

"Nearing." She warns.

"Well boys, Did you pack your weapons?" Marla asks.

"Of course, mom." They say in synchronization.

"Go get it." She tells them.

"What about Melanie and Tara?" Kyle asks, sounding worried.

"Rowan will put them to sleep. They will just think they slept in late. They will be awake in a little more than  2 hours if he does the small spell." Marla says.

"I will do it." Kyle says. "Rowan can grab my things."

   I turn and run into my room. What is going on? What do they mean by spells,  people coming, weapons? I feel scared and confused. I don't think my mom knew who she let into our house. Whoever they are...they aren't normal.

   I see Kyle walking towards my room. He walks in and stands over my bed. He has some kind of black powder in his hand. He start to sprinkle some on me, but I quickly sit up, making him jump back.

"What are you?" I ask.

"Were you listening?" He asks.

"Answer my question." I say.

"Were you listening?" He asks, again.

"I asked first." I say.

"Bravo, and I asked second. Now answer the question." He says.

"Yes. Kyle please don't put me to sleep. Please." I beg.

"I have to." He says.

"No. You can tell them you did. Please." I cry.

   He stares down at me, debating on what to do. Then he puts the rest of the black sand-like stuff on me, and says a few words, but I can't really tell what they are, because my body is falling asleep. My eyes start to close, and my back falls.

"No!" I yell. "Please! Stop. Kyle please reverse it!"

"I can't." He whispers. "Goodnight, Tara."

My eyes flutter shut.

    I wake up to the sound of whispers. I also hear the loud rumble of a truck. What time is it? 12:17. I must have been really tired lasy night. Why am i sleepong in so late? I usually wake uo around 9:30 maybe.

"Good morning, gorgeous." Rowan says sarcastically.

"Shut up, Rowan." I say.

    For some reason I feel some sort of anger for him. Not just him, Kyle too. Actually, his while family. Why am I feeling so mad at them? They didn't do anything wrong. They are just normal people at my house.

"Are you having mixed emotions right now?" He asks, with a wide smirk.

"Shut up, ass." Kyle says, walking in. "Can I talk to you?"

"No." It slips. "I'm sorry. Yes."

   He gives Rowan. a glance of concern. Rowan just shrugs and walks away, woth a cereal bowl in his hand, and spoon in his mouth. Rowan and Kyle and so different. Not only in looks, personality too.

   Kyle sits in the fuzzy chair in my room. K take note that he is too nervous to sit on my bed. Boys. Anyway, he slides his hands ul and down his thighs, and Taos his foot. Showing two signs that he is nervous. Why would he be nervous?

"Do you feel anything toward me and my family?" He asks.

"What?" I gasp.

"Drop the act, Tara." He warns.

"I feel angry." I say.

"Why?" He asks, adjusting uncomfortably.

"I don't know." I respond.

"You don't know?" He asks. "Like, no idea?"

"Yes?" I say, unsure.

"Okay." He relaxes. His foot stops tapping.

"Why, Kyle? Why do I feel mad?" I ask, a sudden rush of  paranoia washing over me.

"I can't tell you now." He says. "Maybe later."